Kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Now that the Sanyo is hard to find, at least where I am. What is the best option for min fridge conversion? Should I just buy a pre built? Keg connection has a pre built edgestar with 2 cornys, 5# tank, and perlick forward seal faucets for 723.95 + 50 bucks I think for shipping.

I have no kegging equipment at all keep that in mind.

I am pretty handy but saving 50 bucks building it myself isn't worth it mostly because the keg connection one comes with I think a 1 Year warranty.

Any input would be nice thanks in advance.

If I were to go the mini fridge route I would by a quality pre-made unit. The quality of the fridge itself is very important. A lot of those smaller units fluctuate quite a bit. I would ask around and find someone who has bought that particular unit before pulling the trigger.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
The one I'm building is gonna cost me around $550 to $600 so you can save more than $50. It's in the link below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frigidaire+-+4.4+Cu.+Ft.+Compact+Refrigerator+-+Silver/9723554.p?id=1218159867701&skuId=9723554

See this thread for the conversion that alot of guys have done on this fridge.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-mini-fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/

+1... The thing for me was not only saving some dollars (all in all mine ran about 550.00 after some insulation problems which caused extra expense) but it was more about the fun of building it. It's a very simple project but that was my first DIY project so I enjoyed it. BUT!!! If I had 800.00 laying around, for the extra quality and no hassle, I WOULD buy a commercial kegerator. A DIY deal is in 99% of cases not going to stack up to a commercially manufactured model but like I said that's not always the whole point of doing it.

+1... The thing for me was not only saving some dollars (all in all mine ran about 550.00 after some insulation problems which caused extra expense) but it was more about the fun of building it. It's a very simple project but that was my first DIY project so I enjoyed it. BUT!!! If I had 800.00 laying around, for the extra quality and no hassle, I WOULD buy a commercial kegerator. A DIY deal is in 99% of cases not going to stack up to a commercially manufactured model but like I said that's not always the whole point of doing it.

I was going to tell you that I went to Best Buy today and looked at the same fridge that's at Lowe's. The door is different on the Best Buy one so you may not have to cut this door up from the inside. That'll help me with the insulation issues you had at first if I don't have to do that. The door has removable shelves instead of being molded. Weird how the same fridge is different at the two businesses?

BIGREDIOWAN said:
I was going to tell you that I went to Best Buy today and looked at the same fridge that's at Lowe's. The door is different on the Best Buy one so you may not have to cut this door up from the inside. That'll help me with the insulation issues you had at first if I don't have to do that. The door has removable shelves instead of being molded. Weird how the same fridge is different at the two businesses?

Yeah I think that is for sure worth a couple extra dollars. I was unaware that their model was different at the time or I would have for sure went with that one.

Yeah I think that is for sure worth a couple extra dollars. I was unaware that their model was different at the time or I would have for sure went with that one.

Yep, now all I'll have to do is drill my holes and mount my taps and back them with some small pieces of wood. Probably take me an hour or so to do it. I'm just waiting a few weeks to see if it goes on sale or not.

BIGREDIOWAN said:
Yep, now all I'll have to do is drill my holes and mount my taps and back them with some small pieces of wood. Probably take me an hour or so to do it. I'm just waiting a few weeks to see if it goes on sale or not.

Shoot you will probably be drinking from a cold tap in only 30 minutes with that easy of a setup! ;)

My brother and I bought a Sanyo but at around 700 quid. It works great but seeing what you get for your money imo it wasn't worth it. Scrounge around on Craigslist and get yourself a chest freezer for cheap, buy the controller, co2, faucets, lines, tower, regulator. You'll end up saving at least $200 and have room to spare for colder fermentations/lagering. If I had to do it all over again that's what I would do.

I was looking at some fans online just in case I needed one, found some that are already wired and ready to plug in on ebay, but I'm gonna see if I need one first.

Back