Secondary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red1150

Reaction score
I had a krausen blowout on a Muntons Connoisseurs Continental Lager overnight on the first night after brewing. The airlock had popped off and krausen was all over the carboy and the floor around it.
The next day, I put on a hose for draining. But, for some reason I decided after two days to put it in a secondary fermenter. Save me the scorn, I have no idea now why I did this. Somehow I thought that this would mean a more clear beer in the end.
I then realized that this could easily affect my alcohol content as there wouldn't be enough yeast to finish the fermentation. I started with an initial gravity of 1.044, and two days later I was already down to about 1.026. Is there any need to add more yeast, or just let it run it's course? The airlock is bubbling, slowly, about every 30 seconds.

Sounds fine to me. Just wait it out, clean out the other carboy and use that one as a true secondary I guess.

Latest posts

Back