So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put 5 gallons of More beer German Hefe in the fermenter. Hit target OG...

Glad I had these ingredients around, I was *intending* to partigyle brew my Russian imperial stout and dry Irish stout, but then I accidentally went out and bought a bunch of water...realized I didn't need soft water to brew the stout, so figured I'd make a Hefe instead!

You should throw some Brett and oak cubes in after the Philly gets a headstart.
I brewed a lambic with wyeast Roeselare blend a couple of weeks ago, that batch will take at least a year before it's ready. This philly sour "lambique" with aged hops and cherries was supposed to be a quick batch ready in a month or two. I do have b.lambicus, b.bruxellensis and oak on hand, now you've got me thinking.

Looking to brew up another IPA this weekend to experiment with/use up some hops. I'm behind my personally set schedule due to having a lot going on this summer, but still not close to being out of beer, so it's all good. May have to chop something off the list though (looking at you pumpkin ale, lol).

Centennial and Cascade pale ale. And got my new (to me) Tilt up and running :)
20210813_122904.jpg

If Monday is close enough to the weekend, then I brewed an Altbier today.

It's my 5th brew day in the last 6 weeks as I prepare for our Oktoberfest party and two festivals where our club is pouring. I usually only brew about once a month, so this will be the last time probably until November.

I plan to brew a Schwarzbier on Sunday. ...but that assumes I finish my fermentation chamber on Saturday.

Plan B will be to brew a blond ale with kveik.

Ended up brewing the Blond Ale.

The fermentation chamber is still on the to do list. I did spend several hours pondering my options....perhaps next weekend.

After a disastrous summer, I finally got my butt back in the saddle and made a weissbier yesterday. Aside from my pump turning up DOA, it was an enjoyable, smooth session.

The SSbrewtech Immersion MT continues to impress. I got brave with the mill and turned the wheat malt into chunky flour. With the aid of 4oz of rice hulls, the lauter went as smoothly as an all barley lauter. The Immersion MT is a really impressive piece of kit.

Me. Trying to get a wild yeast strain or lactobacillus off of some grain this week, which I'll pitch into 60% wheat and 40% 2-row. If it just sours I'll pitch kveik to finish it, or leave it be if I get a hearty strain of wild yeast.

Sort of a kettle sour, but I'm doing it in my carboy and keeping the culture alive.

Planning an ambitious double-brew weekend; WF lager on Saturday, before the new dishwasher gets here, and a Sabro/Citra IPA on Kveik on Sunday. Both will go for competition in 2 weeks (YES a lager in 2 weeks, I don't care it's gonna be good). Done it before, last one was on tap in 10 days. Took a couple more days to clear and settle out but was delicious.

Planning an ambitious double-brew weekend; WF lager on Saturday, before the new dishwasher gets here, and a Sabro/Citra IPA on Kveik on Sunday. Both will go for competition in 2 weeks (YES a lager in 2 weeks, I don't care it's gonna be good). Done it before, last one was on tap in 10 days. Took a couple more days to clear and settle out but was delicious.

WF meaning warm ferment? Cool! What yeast?

- Dan

I was planning learning round #3 with my spike solo. Something with Lamenta malt, and Columbus or chinook and something else complementary. But I just sprained my ankle, and thinking my weekend is a bust.

WF meaning warm ferment? Cool! What yeast?

- Dan
Yes, warm-fermented. Call me crazy but I've been having very good luck with Saflager S23. I've also had good results with lallemand Diamond (bit pricey right now) but I like what I get with the S23. As long as I keep the fermentation around 64-65, it does very well.

Took today and Monday off, so long weekend for me. Got the fermenter that got emptied last night cleaned and sanitized (Spike CF10), plus got the plate chiller ready for use. I'll double check my recipe tonight, print it out and get to it in the AM (whiskey stout).

Got the starter chilling now for the batch I'll be brewing on Monday. Need to do a second starter step since the yeast was frozen for almost nine years. Two days for the first step to complete (probably done earlier, but I let it go just to be sure). I'll check the flask in the morning and see if it's ready for the second starter wort to get added (after decanting the spent starter wort). That should be done in less than 24 hours. Which gives it enough time to settle in the keezer to be used on Monday. I had frozen some Wyeast 1882-PC back in December 2012. I'll be using it in my English IPA recipe. I need Sunday to keg and can the English bitter that's in my second CF10 fermenter. I could try to do it tomorrow, but I'd rather do it on a non-brew day. Plus I'll be turning off the CO2 feed to the carb stone either tonight or tomorrow morning. I like to let the beer settle for a day before I keg and can it. Gives me very clear beer that way.

Giving me ideas as I have a few packs of S23 to use...
If you're planning on this route, use two packets of S23; that's what I did with the last one, and the one I did yesterday. Takes a bit more time to get started but once it does it goes like gangbusters. I've tried it with one packet and got a lackluster beer; more like a blonde than an ale. I also do a vitality starter with 2 cups of wort after it's boiled for 10 minutes, cooled down to about 70. Lagers like LOTS of yeast no matter what temperature you're fermenting at. I ferment mine at 64, with a diacetyl rest at 68 after the krausen starts to drop in 4-5 days. Keg at 8 days if terminal gravity is reached (yes I'm not kidding) and use gelatin for fining. In three days after kegging I had a beautifully (mostly) clear lager that tasted fantastic. After 7 days it was crystal clear. YMMV but this method works for me.

Started at 3am this morning, and just put to bed a beautiful Citra/Sabro IPA that will ferment on kveik for a competition, entries are due in two weeks. Used Citra & Sabro Lupomax for the hops; I've use the Citra Lupomax before with great results, but this is the first one using the Lupomax Sabro. After the late addition was dropped all I could smell was those delightful hops. Have high hopes for this one, especially since I finally got my mash pH where I needed it (5.4) and hit all my other numbers.

Starter for the second beer was a big "nope" for using it. Had a bad smell, so I decided to not use the grain and hops in a batch that might have just gotten dumped. It sucks since it was the yeast I had frozen back in 2012. I think it went sideways when my freezer died (where it was stored) earlier this year. It wasn't frozen for an unknown amount of time, then frozen again. I'll simply watch for the strain to be available again (Wyeast 1882-pc) and get a pack to treat for freezing/saving. Plus another to use and see about keeping it going.

So, I now plan to brew the English IPA this coming (long) weekend. Depending on when I get the conical I emptied out last night cleaned and sanitized will determine which day I brew. Best case, I brew Friday. Worst case, Saturday or Sunday.

@hopkincr Whirlpooling is one of the reasons many of us have pumps (March, Chugger, etc.). Makes the whirlpool very easy, and the action consistent. I'd never even consider whirlpooling if I didn't already have the pumps I do (I have a pair for my setup). Makes moving water/wort very easy. ;)

Back