Remote entry FOB for two vehicles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
So my car and my wife's car both have keyless entry. Is there any way I can get one item that I can use for both cars? My keyring is bulky enough with just one Fob on it...

I would just use a key for my wife's car, but it has an alarm system that is only disabled by the unlock button on the remote (if she locked it with the remote) so me using a key to always open that car is not possible.

Nope...... Even if both were GM, you would need to have identical FCC id's on the keyfobs for this to work.

Actually you can, but it wouldn't be cheap if all you wanted was to be able to unlock the vehicles. My wife and I have two different branded vehicles. We both have AstroStart brand remote car starters. The models we have allows control of two vehicles. So i can use my 'fob' to: unlock, lock, start, monitor, receive feedback, etc from two different vehicles. If you are interested in remote starter with a host of other features, its a great solution.

Interesting. I may look in to that, but I don't want to spend a ton of money. Remote start is something I'll definitely add to the next car (whenever that happens...) I guess my biggest issue is that my wife's car alarm will go off if I unlock it with the key after she locks it with the remote. I've looked and the only way to disarm the alarm is with the remote. If I could fix that issue I'd have no need to carry a FOB for her car.

Interesting. I may look in to that, but I don't want to spend a ton of money. Remote start is something I'll definitely add to the next car (whenever that happens...) I guess my biggest issue is that my wife's car alarm will go off if I unlock it with the key after she locks it with the remote. I've looked and the only way to disarm the alarm is with the remote. If I could fix that issue I'd have no need to carry a FOB for her car.

Curious. Why not just unlock your car with just the key, seeing as how you don't have the alarm.

Once, a pretty respectable and scholarly woman in the office has a near nervous breakdown because the battery in her FOB went out and she could not unlock her car. Her lifeline blackberry was in ther car on the charger too.

She became frantic beacause she had no clue how seh was going to get into her car and the building was locked already. i had managed to be working late and was parked near her. As I went to my truck she asked if I have a phone that she could use and frantically explained her dilemma.

I asked her for her keys and she reluctantly gave them to me. I walked to her door, put in the key, and unlocked the car.

To this day she won't look me in the eyes.

Well I drive my wife's car maybe once a week, mine I drive every day so I enjoy the convenience of having the keyless entry/lock on my car, but I don't want to carry around two key-fobs if I can help it.

Right now I just carry mine and if I'm driving my wife's car I am usually with her, so I get her to unlock it, but I was just wondering if there was an easier way.

My keyless entry is going on the fritz again and I probably need to open it up and re-solder the battery connections (This is my 2nd remote for this car, 12 years old).

Overall it is not a big deal, but just was wondering if there as an easy out of the box solution out there.

Are you 100% sure you cannot just open with key without the alarm going off. My ford allows me to use they key or fob.

Back