Whats up with Pumpkin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Heck - I never heard of it until I came here. Now I feel I MUST brew some.

What's it like - any descriptions? Anybody want to talk me into brewing some??

I would recommend trying some commmercial pumpkin beers and go from there- the one I would recommend would be O'Fallons.

Most are spiced so they taste like pumpkin pie. As a matter of fact I don't know that I have every had a pumpkin beer that wasn't spiced. I have all of the stuff for mine and I will be brewing it in a couple weeks, I have one more beer to brew before it. I can't wait for fall though, pumpkin beer around a fire on a chilly autumn night is a wonderful thing.

There are suddenly 4 pumpkin threads in "new posts".........WTF????;)

I don't want to say this 4 times, but:

I did a pumpkin seed ale last year, basic pale ale recipe, 1/2 oz bullion hops, roasted pumpkin seeds and cinnamon in secondary.

I didn't really care for many pumpkin commercial brews, so I did the roasted seeds instead. It turned out great,
I will be doing it again.

I've been toying with the idea of a pumpkin ale, but haven't been too sure whether I'd like it or not. Are there many pumpkin ales available commercially in Summer?

If you're in Wisconsin, keep an eye out for Lakefront Brewery's Pumpkin Lager. I would highly recommend this as well.

Southern Tier's Pumpking aparently has just started hitting some shelves. Southampton does a nice mild example of the style and my favorite example would be Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin (both are fall releases IIRC).

I need to try another couple this year. Last year I had my first pumpkin beer - Buffalo Bill or something. I thought the flavors were too subdued and it tasted a bit like an amber that was a bit off. I would think it could be really good if done right.

Well, isn't that helpful?

Why don't you post the recipe or commercial example you tried so that others can avoid your misfortune/mistake?

I imagined you saying that in the old Dana Carvey Church lady voice.

WELL ISN"T THAT SPECIAL!!!!!!

lol.

Agreed, while I will never pay for pumpkin beer again, I see no need to bash them.

I've tried several pumpkin beers, and they're all vile disgusting things. I think the problem of why I don't like them is they tend to get overspiced, thinking the spice will mellow, when it actually just gets worse.

Laurel, take some of your coriander beer and mix in some pumpkin pie spice and a slice o pie, and that is what it'll taste like.

I've tried several pumpkin beers, and they're all vile disgusting things. I think the problem of why I don't like them is they tend to get overspiced, thinking the spice will mellow, when it actually just gets worse.

I agree, at least about commercial pumpkin beers that I've had. I've heard that RichBrewer and Yuri_rage have made good ones, though.

It depends on what kind of beer you like, I think. I'm a beer purist, I guess, and I don't like wits or other beers with "flavors" like coriander, either, so I didn't really expect to enjoy a beer with cinnamon/pumpkin.

I love pumpkin pie, and I love beer. Not in the same glass, though.

Southern Tier's Pumpking aparently has just started hitting some shelves. .

By far the best Pumpkin ale I have ever tasted (prob 12 different ones). A strong pumpkin taste with subdued spices and a noticable hop bitterness. Finishes sweet with a little hop flavor in the background.

YUM. my mouth is watering now just thinking about it.

"I've tried several pumpkin beers, and they're all vile disgusting things. I think the problem of why I don't like them is they tend to get overspiced, thinking the spice will mellow, when it actually just gets worse. "

are you sure about this? I added my spices in the last 10minutes of the boil, but when i transfered to the secondary, i tasted some, and couldent taste much pumpkin or spices at all. Will they be a lot more noticable later on, or should i add more spices at bottling?

Back