Magic chef chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I returned my Vissani Kegerator (made by Magic Chef) because it wouldn't get anything colder than 42 degrees. I am now looking to buy a Magic Chef chest freezer (probably the 5.5 cubic feet model - it'll hold 2-3 cornies when I'm kegging and it'll fit a 6.5 gallon carboy when I'm using it as a fermentation chamber.

Does anyone have any bad experiences with magic chef or this particular freezer? Does it get the temp to 0 or below? (like all other chest freezers do). I'm kind of wary of this brand now, but the 5.0 cubic foot Kenmore that I saw at K-mart will not fit a 6.5 gallon carboy. I haven't had a chance to check out the 5.0 Frigidaire yet. The Magic Chef is perfect size wise. I just wanted to get one last opinion from you guys.

I have the 7.2 Cu. Ft. Magic Chef chest freezer.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100586222&N=10000003+90401+503559

I've been using it for almost 2 years for a fermentation chamber. I use plastic buckets, and can fit two of them in it at the same time (using blow off hoses, not air locks). It lets me ferment up to 10 gallons at a time.

It's been a good freezer for me. I haven't had any problems. I'm looking at getting another one some time soon to have a separate lagering set up.

I would take cardboard cut outs the same diameter as your corny kegs (like 9" diameter).

most 5.5 cu freezers will barely hold 2 cornies and a 5lb CO2 cylinder...unless the compressor 'hump' is only in the back corner, and not the entire front-to-back depth of the freezer (which is how most chest freezers are).

Whirlpool tends to only do a corner hump, while GE and Kenmore do full-depth humps.

the hump is good for storing bottles, and if you put a collar on the kezzer, a 5lb cylinder can sit on the hump to give you more keg space.

I think the 7.6cu Whirlpool holds 5 kegs, while my 7.4 cu Kenmore holds just 3.

What's the smallest freezer/refrigerator I can fit a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy in?

I'll only be fermenting one brew at a time, so I'm looking to minimize the footprint (& cost) for now.

Sadly, I haven't received my bucket or carboy yet, so I can't measure them :(

I think my 6.5 gallon carby with three piece air lock is 25" tall. Too tall to sit on the corner hump, even with a 2X4 collar. You could lose a few inches by using a blow-off hose submerged in a bit of water. I don't see what would be wrong with that.

Nice thread, Edwort. That GE 5.0 looks really nice. Would you happen to know if a 6.5 gallon carboy would fit in the deeper part? I think the diameter is 11.4 inches or something.

It looks like it would fit. I know for a fact that the 5.5 magic chef fits a carboy and the GE looks like it has even more space in the deeper part.

Thanks for the link, anyone have something similar with carboys/buckets measured out? :)

This is a shot of my 7.2 cubic foot Magic Chef freezer with two buckets. Due to height restrictions, you would need to use a blow-off tube on at least the bucket sitting on top of the compressor "hump."

DSCF1440.jpg

It's worked great for me.

I just got back from Sam's Club. I got the GE 5.0 Cubic foot for $151 bucks, which is $50 dollars less the 5.5 Magic Chef at Home Depot. I had to buy a $40 Sams Club membership but these are fully refundable if you are not completely happy with the membership.... and I plan on taking them up on this offer.

The best thing about the GE freezer I bought is the layout is the best out of any of the 5.0's I took a look at. The 5.0 Kenmore at Sears has a HUGE compressor hump that divides the freezer right down the center. A 6.5 gallon carboy would not fit. I have a ton of room in the deep part of the freezer on my GE and it will easily fit a carboy, or two cornies, which is all I need.

It's a cute little fridge too, and it fits perfectly in my kitchen. I really couldn't have gotten a bigger one because I wouldn't have had any space for it. I'll upload pics tomorrow if I get some time.

Latest posts

Back