Bottle Sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
Ok, so welp I used what I thought was common sense, but we'll see.

So when I bottled, I used B-T-F (Iodine, I think) as a sanatizer. I diluted maybe 0.5 oz in probablt 2-3 gallons of water (enough to fill my sink). I submierged my bottles in it for a few minutes, took them out of the water, shook them dry then filled them. I also had a bowl of the stuff with my caps in it, so I'd shake the caps off before capping.

My questions now is: was that a good thing to do? I would think that the ultra-low concentration of iodine in the final product (e.g. the beer) shouldn't affect the flavor. Thoughts?

Also, is oxyclean free a sanatizer as well as a cleanser? In which case, should I just use that in the future and not BTF? Would I need to rinse bottles sanatized with oxyclean?

Your good... BTF Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer. Sounds like you got the dilution rate about right. (I recommend starsan though)

Oxyclean is NOT a sanitizer. YES, rinse the hell out of bottles CLEANED with oxyclean.

Sodium percarbonate, as the warning label reads. A white, crystaline powder that will disolve in water to give oxygen. You don't want to oxygenate (aerate) your beer. Plus, its not food grade/safe.

Good deal. I'm not totally certain on the concentration, was lotta eyeball'ing it. But I will say that the water wasn't brown/tan, was totally clear :)

I cleaned my bottles with oxyclean, but then had them soaking in the BTF solution so I figure they should be pretty well rinsed.

Edit: Oh and why starsan over idophor? What's the difference?

BTF Iodophor & starsan are both good (and popular) sanitizers that are widely used in the food & dairy industries. I started out using starsan, so I stick to it. Its my preference. I didn't mean to insinuate that starsan is 'better'. They are both no rinse when diluted properly. 300ppm for starsan & 12.5ppm for Iodophor. That being said, starsan has a foaming action that will cause it to "stick" to surfaces which can be useful. This same action allows it to penetrate micro cracks and scratches, which is obviously useful.

So when I bottled, I used B-T-F (Iodine, I think) as a sanatizer. I diluted maybe 0.5 oz in probablt 2-3 gallons of water (enough to fill my sink). I submierged my bottles in it for a few minutes, took them out of the water, shook them dry then filled them. I also had a bowl of the stuff with my caps in it, so I'd shake the caps off before capping.

Iodophor is no-rinse at 12.5ppm (3ml/gallon).

Were the caps Oxygen-barrier caps? Soaking them will cause this feature to become useless, so you may want to check that out before you soak them again.

I don't think they were.. they were just "generic" caps I got at my LHBS. I don't think there was anything on the label about oxygen barrier.

If I did end up with too high a concentration of idophor for sanitizing my bottles, is there any sort of flavor that typically has?

Back