Using primary for fermenting wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Are there any issues with cross-contamination if I use the same 7.9G primary for beer and wine fermentation. Should I go and get a second primary to avoid potential cross-contamination issues?

Thanks!

Ive heard not to but I have done it once as Ive only made 1 brew awhile ago. After doing that I really didnt smell anything left from the beer but do smell the wine even after a good cleaning. I think using a beer primary for wine would be better then using a wine primary for beer. I dont think there would be any cross contamination but like I said I can still smell the must that was in there after cleaning and sanitizing.

That always happens wade. I've used the same bucket to ferment wine, then beer, then cider, and the smell from the last brew always stayed, even though the brews themselves never tasted different. You'll be fine using the same bucket to ferment anything.

Glad to hear that since I have 4 primaries and all have had wine in there but have only made 1 beer so far. Id hate to have to buy another bucket since Im going to start really making some beer soon. Ive been a busy boy reading everything you guys have to read on this forum about beer making and appreciate what you guys do. I do the same for wine making on another forum.

I think you're safe. I do have one bucket that I only use for apfelwien. But that's mainly only so I can make a larger batch as Apfelwein has no need for a blowoff. The apfelwein seems to go the fastest around here.:cross:

Back