How long will hops keep for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Well after starting AG and quickly getting into getting a grain mill and all i'm starting to look into stockpiling ingredients for making my own recipes and brewing whenever i want. I saw on midwest's site they have bulk orders of hops (24 oz. of 4 different varieties!) and have 3 different types you can buy. I was thinking of buying one of each which would give me a good variety of hops but unsure how long it would take to use all those hops. If i keep them in the freezer how long can i expect all those hops to last?

If they are properly vacuum sealed, they will easily last a year or more in the freezer.

What if they aren't vacuum sealed? I have some hops from late summer that have been in the freezer. Are they still good for bittering?

If they are not vacuum sealed they will lose some bittering qualities slowly over time. I vacuum seal and store at about 0F and just going by taste, I'd say that doing both of those retains all most, if not all, qualities for at least 12-18 months.

Back