Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking of making a Scotch Ale or an Irish Ale and would like to soak some oak chips in some Irish Whiskey or some Scotch.

Does anyone have any experience in this?

What do I do? How long do I let the chips soak?

Thanks in advance!

Brewmeister Jeff said:
I am thinking of making a Scotch Ale or an Irish Ale and would like to soak some oak chips in some Irish Whiskey or some Scotch.

Does anyone have any experience in this?

What do I do? How long do I let the chips soak?

Thanks in advance!
While the beer is in primary, let the chips soak. Toss chips and booze into a mason jar or similar and close it. When you transfer your beer to secondary, you have a choice, toss just the chips or both chips and booze. Let the chips soak 3 days or better. Mine soaked for two weeks and I secondaried for 7 months.

Good luck,
Wild

So we got this idea to get some "ok" bourbon, or whiskey and soak some oak chips in it for a few months. The idea to create pseudo flavors that barrel aging might impart, had old whiskey barrels been used to age the beer. I know it wont be the same since barrels allow for a little more open air contact but we thought it might get some of the flavors.

What might be some of the possible problems with doing this? Anyone tried this method, results? Could this be done with cubes as well?

I soaked dark toasted cubes in Knob Creek for several months.
Drained off the liquor and dropped them into the secondary before racking. I let it sit for a few weeks or more.
It came out really nice. Really nice nose from the bourban and good oak charector in the aftertaste. It mellowed out to barely preceviable after a year or so of storage.

I'd think they'd be fine since they're pretty dried out. Give them a steam to sanitize.

Latest posts

Back