Ok so I am confused, hefeweizen vs American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I know what a hefeweizen is and what constitutes a hefeweizen. The banana and clove from the yeast, the simple grain bill, low IBUs. What I don't understand is what an American wheat is? Is it just that people don't want to call it a hefeweizen because its not brewed in Germany, or is a beer with a majority base malt of wheat and fermented with a wheat beer yeast, not necesarrily a hefeweizen yeast? For example, BierMuncher uses S-05 to brew his Litehaus wheat, but Dude uses WLP-320 (American Hefeweizen yeast) to brew his watermelon wheat. I guess I just need a little clarification. Thanks!

Jason

in german:
hefe = yeast
weisse = white
weizen = wheat

german styles use small amounts of hops and most of the flavor comes from the yeast, no specialty malts.

american styles sometimes use more hops, less estery yeast, etc. it basically means you have more freedom with the american style, as some of them still have banana flavor from the yeast, but just use more hops or different malts (even more barley)

i prefer a good german weisse-bier :D

To me, the greatest difference is the ester profile: American wheats don't have too many esters, they are neutral, you could even brew one with Cal ale yeast. For the German hefe you definitely need German yeast. Some brewers tend to describe Amercian wheats as bland, boring beers, that's why most have some spice or fruit added.

Many American wheats are simply brewed with regular ale yeasts to avoid the flavors of a german wheat. Even when american wheat yeasts are use, the do not act the same as german yeasts, they are in different families so to speak. They produce different flavors and sometimes different techniques are used to ferment them. American wheats tend to rely more on a wide variety of ingrdients such as hops and specialty malts, while geman weiss/weizens are more about the yeast, and rely on fewer ingredients. If you really want to know the specific differences, check out these guidlines.

As you can see, they really are very different styles. About the only things in common are their light color and some wheat in the grain bill.

TL

A plain American wheat is a very bland style, which means that it makes a good base for fruit beers. It doesn't have a lot of character on its own.

Of course, then you make a wheat with the WB-06 dry yeast and have no idea what to call it. It's banana/clovey to a certain extent but who know exactly what the heck it is.

Everyone seems to like that odd beer that doesn't fit in the normal mold of good beer. For me it's Widmer Hefeweizen. In my imagination I taste alot more in it that is probably actually there but it's one of my favorite beers.

Still I see things I'd like to improve in it, and have some ideas floating around in my head.

Also the "Hefe" refers to bottle-conditioning though secondary fermentation (ie bottle carbing).

Style-wise, American wheats use 50% or less, while German Weizens use mostly Wheat malts.

I think the hefe refers more to the yeast in suspension.. or the cloudy look than bottle conditioning.

McKBrew said:
Everyone seems to like that odd beer that doesn't fit in the normal mold of good beer. For me it's Widmer Hefeweizen. In my imagination I taste alot more in it that is probably actually there but it's one of my favorite beers.

Still I see things I'd like to improve in it, and have some ideas floating around in my head.

I used the recipe on Gambrinus' Mug,except I used Wyeast 3333 German Wheat Beer yeast....WOW hands down best "wheat beer" I've tried:mug: :mug: :mug:

I know it means yeast, but it can't refer to only bottle conditioned beer... otherwise hefeweizen on tap would just be weizen?

z987k said:
I know it means yeast, but it can't refer to only bottle conditioned beer... otherwise hefeweizen on tap would just be weizen?
No, the yeast is in suspension when "vom Fass".

Low flocculating lager yeast is used, remember??:D

Before placing my weizen in the kegerator I lay it on its side and roll it a few times/turn upside down to get the yeast back in suspension. ;)

really, the low flocculating wheat yeasts are actually lager yeasts?

btw, I'll be up in the QC next week.

z987k said:
really, the low flocculating wheat yeasts are actually lager yeasts? btw, I'll be up in the QC next week.
How long, what day(s), what time, what for?

I believe I'll have a Guinness clone on tap and an Irish Ale ...;)

If you can't make it out (I live about 32 miles away) I can meet up with you in town for a few brews...first round's always on me...:mug:

Just read your profile...what this "Rock" hobby?

I'll be there from Sunday afternoon/night to the following Sunday sometime. I can bring up a couple of bottles of my chocolate stout, it's all I have right now.... eh I also have some bottle conditioned brews from October that were like 9%... actually both beers in my sig with links.

I'm sure I can make it to atkinson... one of the days as I won't really be doing much anyways.

The rock hobby? I think that was under my list of music I like?

and hey you work on the Arsenal right? Engineer of some sort I'm going to guess?

I like em both, but the German style is an acquired taste for most.

In my experience the main difference:

German Hefe: Appreciated by beer connoisseurs.

American Wheat: Appreciated by my college daughters friends around the pool and the hot neighborhood soccer moms during a progressive dinner.

Guess which one I have on tap most days... ;)

haha, and Beirmuncher I'm gonna be in STL in about 4 hours or so....

I'm so jacking this thread.

z987k said:
I'll be there from Sunday afternoon/night to the following Sunday sometime. I can bring up a couple of bottles of my chocolate stout, it's all I have right now.... eh I also have some bottle conditioned brews from October that were like 9%... actually both beers in my sig with links.

I'm sure I can make it to atkinson... one of the days as I won't really be doing much anyways.

The rock hobby? I think that was under my list of music I like?

and hey you work on the Arsenal right? Engineer of some sort I'm going to guess?
I'll PM you...

tiko said:
no that isnt.
yeah, i only mention pyramid because it is EVERYWHERE here. i'm not a fan, but will drink it if there's nothing else but guiness. i prefer franziskaner on tap :)

tiko said:
we have Squatters American Hefeweizen here in good old Utah and boy is it yummy.

http://www.utahbeers.com/hefeweizen.html

this one aint bad either. lol

http://www.utahbeers.com/polygamy.html

i've tried the polygamy...it's pretty good. i'll keep an eye out for the hefeweizen. but no lemon as they suggested :D

:mug:

DeathBrewer said:
yeah, i only mention pyramid because it is EVERYWHERE here. i'm not a fan, but will drink it if there's nothing else but guiness. i prefer franziskaner on tap :)

i've tried the polygamy...it's pretty good. i'll keep an eye out for the hefeweizen. but no lemon as they suggested :D

i love the slogan "Why have just one!" The owner of the brewery is kinda awesome. Gives the local dominant religion lots of crap. like these fine beers.

http://www.utahbeers.com/evolution.html

http://www.utahbeers.com/firstamendment.html

also sorry about being :off:

Kinda an older thread but i was drinking some golden spike hefeweizen which lead to some research that lead to this thread and is also a Utah beer and one of my Favorites. I actually missed it when i moved out of Utah.

Kinda an older thread but i was drinking some golden spike hefeweizen which lead to some research that lead to this thread and is also a Utah beer and one of my Favorites. I actually missed it when i moved out of Utah.

Does anybody have a recipe for Unita's Golden Spike Hefeweizen? Pretty please? Thanks.

Back