Siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cola

Reaction score
now does the siphoning process happen in a matter of second/minutes or does it happen in a span of days/weeks?

i ask this because siphoning dirty water out of a fish tank happens in a matter of seconds but yet in a chemistry lab, siphoning chemicals can take a weeks...

and what is the whole purpose of using a siphon. if it is to avoid bottling up the resin in bottles that sits at the bottom of the fermenter... is it really worth it to actualize the siphoning process?

cola said:
now does the siphoning process happen in a matter of second/minutes or does it happen in a span of days/weeks?

i ask this because siphoning dirty water out of a fish tank happens in a matter of seconds but yet in a chemistry lab, siphoning chemicals can take a weeks...

and what is the whole purpose of using a siphon. if it is to avoid bottling up the resin in bottles that sits at the bottom of the fermenter... is it really worth it to actualize the siphoning process?

Wow... not to come across like a jerk or anything, but have you actually brewed yet? Have you done any reading on the subject of brewing, or is this site your first adventure into gaining knowledge about the subject?

First of all, the only resins in beer, that I know of, is the hop acids, and those you WANT to keep. The stuff in the bottom of the carboy that you are talking about it trub. It is a combination of vegetal hop matter, hot break, cold break, and yeast. You do not want to get this stuff into your bottles or kegs, and if you are aging the beer for along time, you don't want this to get into your secondary, as this can contribute to off flavors in your beer.

As to how long it takes to siphon a batch of beer from the primary to a secondary or a keg, that would depend on the size of the batch, the diameter of your tubing, etc. If you have a ten gallon batch, it will take twice as long as one of my five gallon batches. If you are using 1 inch blow off tubing, it will go very quickly, if you are using 3/16 inch tap tubing, it will take much longer, but it is definitely measured in minutes, not hours or days.

rabidgerbil said:
Wow... not to come across like a jerk or anything, but have you actually brewed yet? Have you done any reading on the subject of brewing, or is this site your first adventure into gaining knowledge about the subject?

First of all, the only resins in beer, that I know of, is the hop acids, and those you WANT to keep. The stuff in the bottom of the carboy that you are talking about it trub. It is a combination of vegetal hop matter, hot break, cold break, and yeast. You do not want to get this stuff into your bottles or kegs, and if you are aging the beer for along time, you don't want this to get into your secondary, as this can contribute to off flavors in your beer.

As to how long it takes to siphon a batch of beer from the primary to a secondary or a keg, that would depend on the size of the batch, the diameter of your tubing, etc. If you have a ten gallon batch, it will take twice as long as one of my five gallon batches. If you are using 1 inch blow off tubing, it will go very quickly, if you are using 3/16 inch tap tubing, it will take much longer, but it is definitely measured in minutes, not hours or days.

the questions i ask may seem weird to you but pls. realize that i am new to this.

i just bottled up my frist mr. beer batch yesterday.

so i take it that the the siphoning process is relatively fast and does not take months or anything

I did my first siphon yesterday into the secondary.

Took a total of about 4-5 minutes

[YOUTUBE]jKZ9B_V93e8[/YOUTUBE]

if it is to avoid bottling up the resin in bottles that sits at the bottom of the fermenter... is it really worth it to actualize the siphoning process?

Yes, it's really worth it.

Rick

the stuff in the bottom is not 'resin' (we're not smokin' weed here, we're making beer!).

its called trub, and is a mixture of hops, hot break, cold break, and yeast.

One thing you need to realize is your Mr. Beer system skips a lot of steps that most home brewers, and all commercial breweries follow.

Its also the reason your beer probably will always be hazy/cloudy and taste a little yeasty.

FWIW I just siphoned my first batch to bottles. Took 10 min for 2 gallons. Mr Beer system BUT I transfered to a 3 gallon secondary after 2 weeks. So now I will see if it will carbonate. I added 1.6 ozs of cornsugar with 1/2 cup of water, then boiled and added to a stock pot then siphones from the secondary to the stock pot then to the bottles, went pretty fast.

Now to start on my 2nd, 1st big batch a AHS Belgian white ale, extract plus steeped grains in a 6.5 gal beer kit from AHS.

cola said:

Just curious, what chemicals take a week to siphon? (seriously, I am interested)

How many gallons are you brewing if you are planning on a month-long siphon? Cheezus H.

Latest posts

Back