I’m thinking 3.2%…Something Light and Zesty.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m needing a new session beer. Something I can drink all day. Something in the 100 calorie (per 12 ounce) range, but full of flavor. Something the chics will dig.

I have a pound of 7.5% Sterling hops being delivered today from Fresh hops. (Aroma: Herbal, Spicy, some floral and citrus hints Substitutions: Saaz, Polish Lublin)

I already have nearly 20 gallons of highly hopped Pale Ales (Kona, Bridgeport, My Own Recipe)…ten gallons of Jamil’s Mild Brown, Some Irish Stout, a 5.8% American Wheat, a keg of Ole Speckled Hen and a low hopped house ale for my BMC friends.

Now I need to get another true session beer on tap. Something around 3%. Lightly hopped but with some spice and floral aroma. A bit of zest to make it refreshing and different. A light grain bill (pils, #10, cara) for a bright beer.

I’m thinking “Sterling Gold”.

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 15.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
12.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

0.75 oz Sterling [7.50%] (80 min) (First Wort Hops )
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (5 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb

Once my sack of Pils shows up I’m brewing this one…and I’ll post the results.

You might try a little rye in there. The spicy elements can really fill out a small beer.

david_42 said:
You might try a little rye in there. The spicy elements can really fill out a small beer.

I agree, especially if the hops are citrusy. Rye spiciness goes very well with the citrus...

That certainly sounds like something that you could drink all day. You had better brew up 22 gallons!

If you're going for something the skirts will really enjoy, why not cut the coriander/orange, and add some watermelon extract to your secondary....I'm thinking something along the lines of "Liquid Panty Remover.":D

rnrchemnerd said:
If you're going for something the skirts will really enjoy, why not cut the coriander/orange, and add some watermelon extract to your secondary....I'm thinking something along the lines of "Liquid Panty Remover.":D

21st Amendment, I think, makes a watermelon wheat that's well-regarded. Dude had something similar to that on draft that was pretty good; a bit too light for what I'd usually drink, but really nice when we were brewing in 100° weather. But, I'd start in that direction - an American Wheat beer - for that particular flavor.

i might have to make a light rye myself :) i think i'll skip the coriander, tho.

haven't used rye in a while, and i was planning on making my rye stout, so i'll just pick up some extra.

Okay, modified:

Pull the #20 and replace with 1# of Rye.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
1.00 lb Rye Malt - (4.7 SRM)

BierMuncher said:
Okay, modified:

Pull the #20 and replace with 1# of Rye.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
1.00 lb Rye Malt - (4.7 SRM)

I don't know if 1lb is enough to be noticeable...

I think a pound would be enough. I use #1.5 in a #9 bill for my Bent Rod Rye, but there I want it to be a primary flavor.

Ever had Cutthroat Pale Ale?

I do have to hand it to the Utah breweries around here...they've got their stuff together for making half-count beers with full-count flavor. I know a lot of them will gladly provide recipes to homebrewers, too. Red Rock brewing won the 2007 GABF for large brewpub of the year. If you're interested I can dig around for some recipes for you.

Since this is a 10-gallon batch, I'm considering 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper to one of the five gallon batches.

Slight hint of coriander, orange zest and just a hint of pepper spice...all wrapped up by a nice crisp blonde ale.

Warped04 said:
Did you brew this yet BierMuncher? I think you and I hit fresh hops up at the same time. I have a pound of this, crystal and summit.
Here's what I'm brewing tonight.

I ground the spices last night and the brewshop smells fantastic.

I'm excited and a little nervous. I don't think 1 ounce each of coriander and orange is too much for a 10-gallon batch.

Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU

Ingredients:
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)

1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (90 min) (FWH)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Black Pepper Corn (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

I just made a Kolsch with sterling hops and i was blown away by the perfumey /honey like nose and flavor it added. Took it away from the GJCP style BUT, it is going to be a phenominal beer.

Be ready for those same traits from the sterling!

Reverend JC said:
I just made a Kolsch with sterling hops and i was blown away by the perfumey /honey like nose and flavor it added. Took it away from the GJCP style BUT, it is going to be a phenominal beer.

Be ready for those same traits from the sterling!
That's what I'm hoping for.

Between the full flavor from the Rye (thank you David_42)
The honey floral from the sterling
And the spice note from the uh...spices,

I'm hoping for a lot of flavor in a beer without a lot of alcohol.

BierMuncher said:
Here's what I'm brewing tonight.

I ground the spices last night and the brewshop smells fantastic.

I'm excited and a little nervous. I don't think 1 ounce each of coriander and orange is too much for a 10-gallon batch.

Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU

Ingredients:
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)

1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (90 min) (FWH)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Black Pepper Corn (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

SO this is a Kolsch with orange/coriander and peppercorns?

Looks interesting... I hate wits but like orange and coriander and always looking for a non wit recipe to use those in.

The pepper corn, I don't know about...what are you hoping to get with that flavor? Tongue bite, or a peppery taste?

I'd like to know how this turns out.

Oh fyi for my orange/ginger Dortmunder experiment I used 2 ounces each, ginger and orange zest...and that was for a 5 gallon batch...when I racked to secondary I didn't think either flavor was that pronounced, so I boiled about a half cup of fresh orange juice and added that to the carboy..

Tasted it a bottling and it tasted great, can't wait for a couple more weeks to pass.

So one ounce orange/10 gallons might not be enough for you.

Revvy said:
...The pepper corn, I don't know about...what are you hoping to get with that flavor? Tongue bite, or a peppery taste?
So one ounce orange/10 gallons might not be enough for you.

Like I said, I'm looking for a hint of those flavors and not an obvious wit "Wanna be".

Wits use a lot of wheat (flaked and/or malt) and this doesn't have any. I want a clear beer so I'll need a protein rest with that rye malt in there.

Overall, I'm looking for a crisp refreshing clean flavor with some character. Not a lot, but somehting where people go..."I know that taste...but can't quite place it...can I have another?"

BierMuncher said:
Like I said, I'm looking for a hint of those flavors and not an obvious wit "Wanna be".

Wits use a lot of wheat (flaked and/or malt) and this doesn't have any. I want a clear beer so I'll need a protein rest with that rye malt in there.

Overall, I'm looking for a crisp refreshing clean flavor with some character. Not a lot, but somehting where people go..."I know that taste...but can't quite place it...can I have another?"

For some reason wits leave me with an unpleasant taste in the back of my throat, and I've tried a few, and they all hit me the same way.

What you describe sounds like what I've been looking for...Keep me posted when you're drinking this thing.

I did something similar a while back, BM, and I think you are going to like that beer. I didn't use any rye, and I did use some domestic pale malt (I think about 50%), but the idea was the same, especially with the hint of orange peel and coriander seed. It came out very nice, and I've been thinking about it again.

I certainly didn't use any black pepper, but I've been thinking about how to do so since you started that thread recently. Now, I may have an idea (thanks!)

I am very interested to hear how this comes out, as I have a hole in my chest freezer where a corny should be.

TL

Here's a pic of the spices all ground up.

Like I said, this is only about 1 1/2 cups worth of everything for a 11.5 gallon batch.

Wish you had smell-o-computer.

spices.jpg

TexLaw said:
What's your yeast for this batch? Koelsch?

TL
****... You just reminded me, I forgot to pull some yeast out of the fridge this morning.

I'm doughing in in about 2 hours....:cross:

I have harvests of both Kolsch and Safale-05. I even have some notty.

This low SG, I want this to fermetn out clean, but with some body, so I might use the Kolsch....

EdWort said:
Ya gonna have some ready by Wednesday? :D
I wish.

I got so busy brewing some hoppy ales the last few batches, plus Jamils Mild Brown, plus Jamils 60 Schilling, that I'm about out of light house ale.

SWMBO is not happy.

I'll tell you what, that Mild Brown is shaping up into a nice creamy tasting 3.2% beer. At first it was a bit thin and "metallic", but it is very nice now. Maybe I'll bottle a few and bring em along on Wednesday.

We got some serious sampling to do... :ban:

At least you are brewing. I have not brewed since 1-1-08. :(

I hope the weather cooperates on Sunday. If so, I have 10 gallons of IPA to do.

BTW, when SWMBO is not happy, nobody is happy.

EdWort said:
BTW, when SWMBO is not happy, nobody is happy.

Smartest thing I think you've ever said Ed.

BierMuncher said:

Knowing you. Probably going to be a great beer. I can't wait to get my first AG under my belt, moved, so I can start really do this one and that blue balls beer of yours.

I think 1 oz of each will be great, but I said "I think" for a reason, cuz "I think" that's what I used in that one that I did a while back. I'm PO'd that I can't find my notes on that one.

TL

Well, the "Sterling Gold" brew went great. I used a pound of rice hulls and man did that make the sparge effortless.

Came in a bit over 12 gallons and 1.035 VS 1.034 so right on target.

90 minute mash and a 90 minute boil made for a long brew night, but I was able to sneak a nap in there (standard operating procedure). Sipped on quite a few Mild Browns (3.1%) and they were delish...

The coriander, orange peel and black pepper were barely noticeable at sampling, so I'm hoping that once the sugars convert the spices will come through more. I guess I can always dry-hop some more spices if need be, but "just a hint" is what I'm after.

Surprised how clear the wort was out of the kettle...

Sterling_Hydro.jpg

Sterling_Hydro1.jpg

She's bubbling away like crazy right now....

Sterling_Primary.jpg

Looking good! Nice job, now move the switch to "Speed Ferment & Condition" so it's ready by Wednesday. :D

That hydrometer jar looks tasty.

I told you I'd get back with the results of the final recipe.

The nice thing about a light grain bill recipe like this is that I went from grain to glass in 2 weeks.

The flavor is spot on for what I was after. As far as the black pepper, I don't notice that it's in there, but were it not included, this beer might have lost some of its crispness.

This beer is light, very crisp an flavorful. There is a nice "bite" to the beer that is very clean...not spicy. The Rye malt really ads a nice dimension. Thanks for the suggestion David_42. The orange bitter is not noticeable at all and the coriander lies just underneath enough to hint at a wit style beer. It seems that all of the additives just seem to balance out and add a nice dimension, and not an obvious flavor to the beer.

I attenuated a bit more than planned so ended up with a 3.6% beer.

This one is definitely a do-over. High in flavor, crisp and clean, low in alcohol and a nice session beer for the warmer months that lay ahead.

The pics below are after only 24 hours on 30PSI. You can see that this glass (my second pour) is nearly crystal clear already (thank you Super Irish Moss, Gelatin and cold conditionig for 5 days in a 36 degree garage). Another few hours on the gas and head retention should improve dramatically.

Sterling_Pour1.jpg

Sterling_Pour2.jpg

Sterling_Pour3.jpg

You know, this might be a nice beer to experiment with some Grains of Paradise on. Someone mentioned those again the other day, they sound like kind of a nice "fancy" pepper. Maybe try those in place of the black pepper and/or the corriander.

Back