Warning to cell phone users!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Happy Mug

Reaction score
Apparently, several of the phone company databases have been hacked. My brother uses sprint, and recently his checking account got totally bombed.

When we first noticed it, there were massive charges from "Sprint Wireless Service." One was $350, another $50, a bunch of $1 charges, and a $150. We went to the sprint store, and they couldn't find anything on their computers. My brother pays with his card, but has no automated pay feature.

The next day, "Dell computers" started popping up - three identical charges of $840 something, and one at $780 something. He's working it out with his bank, but that's messed up. Since nothing went through and nothing got sent (the very first big charge bottomed out his account), he won't be liable.

With a big change at work, he hasn't gotten his past three paychecks and account was very low. How's that for a fortunate turn in events? Had he had the money, he would have probably been screwed.

Anyway, just a warning. Keep an eye on your accounts.

I had a problem with my phone company a few months back. Unauthorized charges to my billing, though not nearly as bad as you describe. My solution is that my phone is not in my name any longer. That confuses anyone in attempting bogus charges. I have heard of some really bad things from telephone billing: eg. overseas calls, e-mail, text messaging. Hope he gets things straightened out.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back