Sanatized Dog Hair :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
Just got done making a starter. Boiled the water/DME for 10 min, cooled and added the yeast. I noticed a 2" dog hair in the mix after adding the yeast. I am about 100% positive that it was in the boil. Any problems with the starter? Dog hair in my house is a problem with 2 Australian Shepherds running around. :)

if it was boiled no problem at all... Could even give a good name for the brew like "hair of the dog"...

If not boiled, then it could be a problem. You will know about the time it comes to pitching.

Dogs in the kitchen is a problem.

Night before last I woke up at 3:00 am and walked into the kitchen half asleep and barefoot to get a drink and find out what the stinky smell coming from the kitchen was. Well I walked in, didn't turn on the light, and stepped right in a freaking lake of cold dog diarreaha !! Man it was nasty. I almost threw up while I was cleaning it up and mopping the floor! Damn ***** - I made her stay outside in the cage all day long. At least it was only a hair in your brew, could have been much worse.

Fortunately I at least made up a nice song about dog diarrheas to the tune of "Surf City" by the beach boys while I was mopping the kitchen floor - that was fun.

oh yeah, well I guess that had nothing to do with nothing but oh well whatever - just thought I'd share ;)

tbone said:
Just got done making a starter. Boiled the water/DME for 10 min, cooled and added the yeast. I noticed a 2" dog hair in the mix after adding the yeast. I am about 100% positive that it was in the boil. Any problems with the starter? Dog hair in my house is a problem with 2 Australian Shepherds running around. :)

Get a husky...We have just learned to deal with it. Although I try avoiding getting it in my beer :p

I know a dude who's sunglasses fell of his head into the fermenter. They remained there until racking and it was called sunglasses ale. Got lucky, it did not get contaminated.

The temps were probably high enough still to pasteurize the germs on the glasses.

Mutilated1 said:
Well I walked in, didn't turn on the light, and stepped right in a freaking lake of cold dog diarreaha !! Man it was nasty. I almost threw up while I was cleaning it up and mopping the floor!
It's because of incidents like this that I no longer have any pets. Geez, just from reading your description, I swear I can smell it! Now, when people ask what kinds of pets I have, I tell them I provide a home to billions of yeast cells.

I'm always amazed how many newbies post "brew day" pictures that prominently feature a curious dog, sniffing at the bucket as the wort goes in.

My pup is usually around when I am brewing. I would imagine it is much more likely that a piece of skin or hair will fall off of you and into your brew rather than your pups. That is unless you are brewing with a hairnet...which I doubt.

I don't try to get dog hair in my beer, it is just all over everything, all my buckets, keggle, etc. I usually skim off a few hairs during the boil, but I don't let my dog near the cooled wort (it is always elevated) or the fermenters. No problems.

My standard schnauzer's hair is everywhere, and this is one of those mythical no-shed breeds!

Maybe we need a name for Sanitized Dog Hair brew, think anyone would question the name Sadoha?

My friends have a super hyper Jack Russel who loves to drink beer, whenever he comes over to visit the first thing I do is give him a pull off of whatever is on tap. I usually give him some of my light beers, but last time he got some of my 8% ABV porter and it almost knocked him out. He is a very mean drunk though, so you just need to leave him alone while he sleeps it off.

Back