Starting out with AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston_Smith

Reaction score
I've been looking to get into home brewing for a few months now. The thing is I wish to skip the whole extract stage.

I've been doing a lot of reading on AG brewing, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of it. I'm going to join a local club and maybe get to watch a AG brew before I attempt one.

Did anyone else start right off with AG?

Where is Mid-Vermont? We have a place on Lake Dunmore (outside Middlebury). Otter Creek has some really nice MicroBrews at their place.

I'm about 20 minutes from Dunmore, small town called Rochester.
I have to say I've never been to the Otter Brewery, but i have driven past it a few times. As a matter of fact next weekend I'm hoping to get down to the Long Trail Brewery.

I started off with AG. Wasn't too bad at all. Lots of good info here to get things right the first time. I think the main elements (other than reading) are sanitation and having the right equipment.

I had a great aunt from Rochester. Over Brandon Gap, correct?

Otter Creek has some nice beers, very small facility though and sometimes tough to get a "special" price on stock there. We sometimes pick up the growlers and bring them back to the lake. They aren't cheap though and don't want to undercut the local distribition outlets.

I did the Catamount tour once (White River Junction?). Shame they went under.

I am in the process of brewing my first homebrew, so I guess we are both newbies.:mug:

I'd probably recommend starting off with something a bit simplier, the more steps you do the harder it is to figure out where you screwed up if something goes wrong.

Go for it!

Think they had extract back in the day? If you do enough research you'll be fine.

Brew a hefe...easy and done quick

Good luck! We're here if you need it

I say go for it if you're willing to upfront the extra cost of gear. I personally did three extract batches and then moved to all grain. The process is a bit more involved, but it honestly isn't that complicated. If there is a local Homebrew chapter, go watch the process start to finish and ask a lot of questions. Then, maybe invite one of the seasoned members over to your place when you brew to walk you through the process. Heck, my girlfriend wanted to do a batch and I had her start with all grain. Just had to explain the steps and why we did them!

Back