Siphoning Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZWood15

Reaction score
So, judging by the title, you probably think im some sort of a moron, but its not that. I have no problem getting the siphon to start and keeping it flowing whenracking from a 6.5 gal. plastic pail, but have trouble when racking from a glass carboy into a bottling bucket. I am using the universal carboy cap pictured here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/carboy-caps.jpg

I have the racking cane going into the middle hole and can start the siphon by blowing into the other stem, but i cant get it to keep flowing. It will work for a while, then die off. I have the carboy on a kitchen counter, and have tried everything I can think of but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?

Thanks,
-Z

Once the siphon starts, do plug the hole you blew into up? Have you though about purchasing an auto siphon, I love mine it's a real time saver. At the same time starting a siphon without the help of any device is a good skill to have.

You have got your secondary below you primary haven't you?

rackingfromprimarytosecem9.jpg

Those carboy caps sometimes restrict the airflow coming in to the point that it stifles the siphon. Once the siphon starts, try to peel up that cap a bit and just hold onto the racking cane for stability.

Personally, I gave up on those caps. I went back to starting a siphon with a hose full of water. I need to get one of those fancy auto siphons!

TL

Look for air bubbles where the cane attaches to the hose. You could have a leak there. What will happen is air will suck into the hose in small bubbles and will combine until you wind up with a large enough air pocket that kills your siphon. Highly carbonated fluid will degas at places like this as well. Over time the small bubbles will make a large c02 pocket, and end of siphon.

TexLaw said:
Those carboy caps sometimes restrict the airflow coming in to the point that it stifles the siphon. Once the siphon starts, try to peel up that cap a bit and just hold onto the racking cane for stability.

Personally, I gave up on those caps. I went back to starting a siphon with a hose full of water. I need to get one of those fancy auto siphons!

TL

I've never had a problem. Plenty of people use them with no truble.
Especially if you use C02 to start the syphon.

If you get those bubbles, and it's not due to a leak, you can fix it. Pinch at the bottom of bubble. Don't pinch the hose completely shut, but about halfway, and just do it for a moment or so. The bubble should start to close up or move up the hose. If it moves up, just kep moving up your pinch until the bubble disappears at the top.

TL

orfy said:
I've never had a problem. Plenty of people use them with no truble.
Especially if you use C02 to start the syphon.

I haven't used CO2 to start a siphon, and I've never claimed to be the most talented or patient brewer when it comes to gear. :D If other folks use them and like them, more power to them. :rockin:

TL

Looks like i might be getting an auto siphon sometime soon... I'll give these carboy caps a couple more tries and see how we go. I like the idea of CO2, but not the idea of lugging my 20lb tank back and forth... Its just frustrating that it works then stops...

ZWood15 said:
Looks like i might be getting an auto siphon sometime soon... I'll give these carboy caps a couple more tries and see how we go. I like the idea of CO2, but not the idea of lugging my 20lb tank back and forth... Its just frustrating that it works then stops...

The autosiphon is a good piece of equipment. I keep mine sanitized and standing by in case I get a plugged valve on my kettle, etc. It hasn't failed me yet, but keep in mind it can be a source of infection. I didn't realize the cap on the bottom came off until yesterday (had it a whole year.....I know:drunk: ) and found that a good bit of whole hops were stuck in there. Just make sure you break it down completely each time you clean! ;)

ZWood15 said:
I start mine with an air pump. Works great.

Something's gotta be wrong with your carboy caps...if the height differential is at least 2-3 feet, then something must be creating a vacuum and arresting your siphon. Make sure the holes in the cap aren't blocked....

When you say 'it will work for a while and then die off', what do you mean?

I had a similar problem when I first starter using the caps. But the problem is I wasn't blowing long enough. Just enough to push a little bit of beer up the cane and out then it would run out of guts.

If you siphon is going for a short amount of time (ie 1-2 seconds) then stopping try blowing for a little longer. If it's running for a while then stops, I have no idea what's up.

HTH.

I gotta tell ya . . . . I racked last night with the ol' "fill up the hose with water and drain" method, and that's just too easy.

Also, to the OP, do you have a hose clamp on? If so, that may be blocking your flow and stopping your siphon. I only used a hose clamp for bottling, back in the bottling days.

TL

Back