My First Barrel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeslad

Reaction score
hi guys,
i have taken the plunge and i am currently brewing my first beer "kit" a Coopers Canadian Blonde Beer Kit it makes 40 pints, now i have a barrel with tap and safety cap, ideally i would like to put the brew in here to serve once fermented, do i need to buy a co2 injector for it? or will it be OK with no pressure in the barrel?.
sorry if this has been asked but im more of a apfelwine/ wine brewer and have not had to contemplate this before.
many thanks
Lee.:mug:

Do you have a keg set up with a gas line in, and liquid line out, or are we just talking about a barrel with a liquid tap, and like a screw on cap or something?

If it is the later, I would suggest using the priming sugar that came with the kit, and use the calculator below for figuring the correct amount of sugar for your final volume of beer. You need to boil the correct amount of sugar with the correct amount of water as per the calculator, add the cooled mixture to the bottom of the barrel prior to moving your beer in, and gently stir to incorporate. Seal up the barrel as tight as you can, then let sit for two weeks at about 70 degrees, and 1 week in the fridge to carbonate.

http://brewblogger.net/index.php?page=tools&section=sugar

I'm not sure what kind of set up you have, so it's hard to give you advice. The coopers kit should have given you some idea of how to carbonate with the priming sugar, and there should be some UTube videos on the subject also.

your a star mate, i have just a plastic barrel and cap and liquid tap, ill follow your info, i have found some more on the coopers website, thanks for taking the time to reply.
lee

just a quick question im about to barrel this with the priming sugar, ill let it stand as per the advise but i don't have a fridge big enough to chill the barrel in, can i drop it in the freezer for a set amount of time to achieve carbonation?

lee

Back