HELP! NO MALT EXTRACT already added grains...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31FIFTY

Reaction score
Yup, another newb mistake on my part. I bought a kit from MoreBeer and assumed I had everything I needed. My wife and I were going through the steps as listed on the instructions and then I realized I HAVE NO MALT EXTRACT!

This is only my 4th batch so I'm def a newbie. Anyways, can I salvage this beer? Can I let the water get up to 170, turn it off, and pick up where I left off tomorrow after I get the malt or am I screwed on this batch?

Mahalo in advance for the advice.

What have you already done? If this is an extract kit and you didn't have extract, I'm guessing you have only steeped the specialty grains?

If so, yes, just refrigerate the steeped grain solution and finish it tomorrow. You don't really have to worry about anything because you'll still be boiling it after you add the malt extract.

:mug:

What have you already done? If this is an extract kit and you didn't have extract, I'm guessing you have only steeped the specialty grains?

If so, yes, just refrigerate the steeped grain solution and finish it tomorrow. You don't really have to worry about anything because you'll still be boiling it after you add the malt extract.

:mug:

Yes I just steeped the grains. I was only about 10 min or less in to steeping them when my wife read off "bring to 170 and then turn off heat to add melt extract" and I went OH ****. Yea, I think the kid helping me out at morebeer in Concord, CA here was worried about anything but me. I guess their specialty grains come in the kit and the sales person or person packing the order has to include the malt extract and he didn't.

Pretty pissed right now.

Yes I just steeped the grains. I was only about 10 min or less in to steeping them when my wife read off "bring to 170 and then turn off heat to add melt extract" and I went OH ****. Yea, I think the kid helping me out at morebeer in Concord, CA here was worried about anything but me. I guess their specialty grains come in the kit and the sales person or person packing the order has to include the malt extract and he didn't.

Pretty pissed right now.

Yeah, that really sucks. There's nothing worse then preparing to do a brew only to find out you're missing some vital ingredient. I actually am going through a sort of similar thing right now. I pitched my wyeast yesterday, but the yeast seem to be dead and not fermenting (still keeping my fingers crossed they'll be viable).

But yeah, you can safely fridge it till tomorrow. I don't think there should be any ill effects, but definitely make sure to remove the specialty grains from the liquid before storing overnight. Hope everything works out. :mug:

Yeah, that really sucks. There's nothing worse then preparing to do a brew only to find out you're missing some vital ingredient. I actually am going through a sort of similar thing right now. I pitched my wyeast yesterday, but the yeast seem to be dead and not fermenting (still keeping my fingers crossed they'll be viable).

But yeah, you can safely fridge it till tomorrow. I don't think there should be any ill effects, but definitely make sure to remove the specialty grains from the liquid before storing overnight. Hope everything works out. :mug:

I really appreciate the feedback. I figured it would be cool, but needed someone like you to confirm. I am going to have to buy some from another brew store that is closer. morebeer.com had better take accountability. EVEN if I were supposed to buy my own ME (which i'm not), it'd be wise to tell a newb like me when you handed me all the grains and I obliviously walked out of the store.

Just taking the wort (if it is even considered wort yet) off the stove now. Is it vital that I cool it quickly and store? Gonna put the kettle in the bath tub with some cool water anyways but just checking to see if you had an opinion on this.

Just taking the wort (if it is even considered wort yet) off the stove now. Is it vital that I cool it quickly and store? Gonna put the kettle in the bath tub with some cool water anyways but just checking to see if you had an opinion on this.

Just cover it and get it in the refrig as soon as possible, you can ice bath it since it's a small amount. I know you are still going to boil it but it is just good practice to get it cool and stored properly. The Concord store is nice but they can get a little scattered in there, I'm sure they will make good by you.

Latest posts

Back