Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilc16

Reaction score
On my 2nd brew, an orange honey wheat. Its been in the fermenter for 3 weeks now and is at the gravity it should be using Safale us05. My question is, is the yeast still clearing at 3 weeks? Will it continue to clear if I wait another week to bottle?

Thanks

I know it should be somewhat cloudy but I could barely see through the test tube when I took my recent gravity reading.

will probably clear more once its been bottled, conditioned, and stored in the fridge, You dont want extreme clarity for a wheat. I'd think that the three weeks you fermented your wheat at is good enough and can be bottled at any point now.

I'm not sure if you are concerned with clarity or the fact that there are still yeast in solution.

With a wheat ale you will likely have a haze from the wheat... which is typical.

Yeast will continue to precipitate out of solution and flocculate together as the beer ages. However, the amount of yeast remaining when the target FG is reached is fairly insignificant when it comes to clarity and taste.
If you wanted to have the yeast flocculate out more then you can chill the beer, which is called crash cooling.

At three weeks, it's unlikely that the yeast is doing anything meaningful taste-wise, and clearing is really a time/temperature thing, not a yeast thing.

So I'd bottle it now. Carbonation should take ~2 weeks at ~70 degrees.

If you want the beer to clear well, you can do two things:

1) Add a bit of gelatin to your bottling bucket.
2) Once the beer is carbonated, put them *all* in the fridge.

Gelatin will help clarity, and cold storage will help clarity. So if you have the capacity, leaving beer in the fridge for a few weeks before you drink it will help things drop out of suspension.

Latest posts

Back