Grand Cru? What Is It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What designates a Grand Cru? I've gathered that maybe it is just a name for a breweries best beer or beer for special occasion, but no style guidelines. Most recipes I see could be called dubbels or tripels if you really wanted to.
It's kind of frustrating.

Also I've seen it as a wine term which doesn't matter for us.

"just a name for a breweries best beer or beer for special occasion"

Bingo. It's usually used for Biere de Garde or Belgian dark strong, but it could be any style, really.

Grand Cru is the strong version of a Belgian Wit ie. strong Hoegaarden.
Yep I used to think that as well, even the co-owner of the LHBS thought this was the case also, until I bought the Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru. I asked him if he had tried that and he replied no I hate Belgian Wits, fair enough to each their own, so off I go with my bottle back to the house. I pour it and instantly think this doesnt look right, thats because it was a Strong Ale not a Wit. Even the label clearly stated this if I had of read it before I got home and poured it. It was good, basically a mix of 3 of their other brews but certainly not a Wit. :mug:

Michigan Brewing Co. Does a fantastic Grand Cru (celis). I would like to clone that one. I do plan on making one of these someday.. back when I researched them there wasn't much out there for solid recipes.

Michigan Brewing Co. Does a fantastic Grand Cru (celis). I would like to clone that one. I do plan on making one of these someday.. back when I researched them there wasn't much out there for solid recipes.

ive had that,its pretty tasty!i would up the abv on it though,just my 2 cents

Didn't Michigan Brewing Co. become the 3rd aquiring company that manufactures Celis White, which is the original Hoegaarden recipe? (tweaked of course). Pierre Celis founded Hoegaarden, sold it off eventually, then he founded Austin Brewery, sold it off to Miller, then Michigan Brewing Company acquired the Celis brand from Miller.

Back