Cold crash, leave alone or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rilo0407

Reaction score
My gravity on my weizenbeir is 1.015 from an OG of 1.050. The airlock is still bubbling every few minutes. I have seen a lot of recent discussion about cold crashing and I thought maybe of trying this. It is very cloudy and there is still some trash floating on top so I dont think that I need to bottle. Should I just leave it alone another week or would cold crashing help to settle the yeast?

Exactly what style are you shooting for? Most wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy. You could let it clear and bottle it as a Kristallweizen, though.

Yes I would like it to be a little cloudy, but this is really cloudy. I know it will settle some in the bottle but will cold crashing help. Also the beer tastes ok but the aroma sucks. It has that cardboard kinda odor....will it subside any with age?

It'll dissipate with age. I don't think I would cold crash it, as there's as least a risk of getting it TOO clear. I'd leave it alone for maybe 3 weeks in the fermenter and let it settle out naturally. You'll still have some yeast in suspension for some cloudiness.

But to answer your question, cold crashing will help it settle out. Just check it and bottle when it hits whatever cloudiness you are looking for.

i agree with shane. let it sit for a few more days since it's still bubbling, then cold-crash it. wheats need to have some yeast in suspension; it adds to the taste and character. wheats get knocked in score in competitions for being clear, in general. i'm drinking a cloudy hefeweizen right now.

Wait a minute Lumpher, I know Hefe's are supposed to be cloudy, but aren't Krystalweise like Shanecb is talking about supposed to be nice and clear?

Or are they not a recognized BJCP style?

I had a wheat beer that got pretty close to being a Krystallweizen just by leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks and a secondary for 2weks. I know you can't do that with a Hefe, because yeast is such an important part of it, but a true Krystallweizen is very clear, I think they even filter it.

It was good, it didn't sit around long once it it hit its stride around 2.5 weeks in the bottle. :D It was bock strength, although I've been told you can't do a true Bock with extract, because you need to use munich or vienna malt to make up the difference in the grain bill with the wheat, and munich ME is 50/50 munich/pale.

Anyway...

Wait a minute Lumpher, I know Hefe's are supposed to be cloudy, but aren't Krystalweise like Shanecb is talking about supposed to be nice and clear?

Or are they not a recognized BJCP style?

yes, but i did say "in general". if he wants a clear wheat, i would be glad to offer help, as wheats are my favorite type. but i do like the yeasty flavor of a good wheat ;)

It'll dissipate with age. I don't think I would cold crash it, as there's as least a risk of getting it TOO clear. I'd leave it alone for maybe 3 weeks in the fermenter and let it settle out naturally.

THIS. When you think fermentation has stopped let it go another couple weeks at least.

bottle it, put it in the fridge, and let it sit as long as you can stand it. 3 weeks + will be the numbers, if you can handle that good beer sitting there that long

yes, but i did say "in general". if he wants a clear wheat, i would be glad to offer help, as wheats are my favorite type. but i do like the yeasty flavor of a good wheat ;)

Touche!:mug:

I never really liked hefewiezen or wits to much, the whole cloudy beer thing. I guess I don't have the cajones for them. But I like trying out new recipes and ingredients, and wheat beers are tasty, even if most are cloudy.

So what is the temp range for cold crashing and how long should it take?

Well, essentially close to freezing. 34-36 degrees F is what I've cold crashed at. The length of time is hard to say, really. If it's a rather flocculant yeast naturally then things will look like they go quicker, and the opposite for a less flocculant yeast.

Back