starting equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
my friends father asked if i could give him information about what to buy his son for christmas to get him started brewing. if you don't understand this it doesnt really matter.

im thinking of telling him to get a pot although im not sure what size of pot. i started brewing all grain from the beginning so i dont know what size pot you can get away with if youre doing extract kits.

also some type of fermenter. either a food safe bucket with lid or a carboy. with appropriate air lock

and of course an ingredient kit to get started.

so anything else you can think of that he would need? and what size boiling pot can you get away with just doing extract kits in the beginning?

My father-in-law asked me the same kind of question for his son. I pointed him to the 5 gal. starter kits that MoreBeer! and Northern Brewer sell. They come with everything you need minus the pot. I guess it depends on what kind of batch size he wants to get started with. A 5 gal. pot is great for a 3 gal. partial boil, a 8 gal. pot is decent for a full 6 gal. boil and a 10 gal. pot would be perfect for a 6.5 gal. full boil. Or, would it be better to start his son with something like Mr. Beer that is quick and simple to make, requires less space and can get him hooked and ready to make 5 gal. extract batches.

Midwest Supplies has a nice little tutorial on what you may need to get started. Find it here.

This is the equipment kit my wife got me for my birthday several years ago. In addition to this equipment kit, your friend would need a pot (16 qt. minimum), about 2 cases of empty bottles, and an ingredient kit.

For just getting started, I'd recommend something like this basic 1 stage kit. Since we now know secondaries aren't essential.

And add this too, a hydrometer is a necessity:

I don't know what price range he's looking for. If those two haven't met it yet, I'd consider getting a 24 qt stockpot

And maybe a kit in a style similar to what you know he likes, such as a clone of one of his regular beers.

Back