Most hotly debated techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its all highly modified unless it says it isn't. Go ahead and debate it...........its not 1989 anymore.

People seem to think that increasing degrees of modification of malt is inherently good and something recently allowed by technology. That is untrue in every way imaginable. The English have been making fully and over modified malt for a very, very long time. Domestic and Continental maltsters make malt that have varying degrees of modification, rarely overmodified (if more modification were good without question, it would all be overmodified).

The reason more and more malt is well modified or fully modified is not technology or discovering that to be superior, it is because continental breweries and american craft breweries want to save money by installing single infusion brew houses.

There are still step infusion and decoction brewhouses in the world and still malsters producing modestly modified malt for them.

So the question is, what does highly modified even mean? In the literature fully modified means the acrospire is 100% the length of the kernel, well modified is 50-99% (and at 50%, you are certainly step mashing) and undermodified and overmodified are the extremes. So if by highly you mean overmodified, no the vast majority of malt is not overmodified.

I really wanted to say this earlier, but I bit my tongue. Its not that he has bad advice, he just gives it out with this attitude of "your problems are not special, nor are you"

What do you want, me to rub your belly, or give you a blowjob along WITH your answer? An answer that I more than likely spent 3 hours writing at some point along the way, tracking down links, and citing sources, being a through and clear as I can, AND spending upwards of 8 hours a day talking new brewers, who ask the same questions day in and day out, off the roof. Why the heck to you think I do it?

The problems are NOT special, because 99% of the time it's the same question over and over and over and over, that's why the usually are cut and paste and 99% of the time it IS the right answer. Your beer issues are not terminally unique.

But I wouldn't be answering questions over and over if I didn't care about the brewer..... :rolleyes:

what about the actual IBU contribution of of non traditional happing methods like first wort hopping, mash hopping, using a hop back, and adding your entire hop charge in the whirlpool/flameout?

personaly I vote yes for them all please

As new brewers, we ask a lot of questions. I learned early on that most of my questions could have been avoided by using the search feature. I know where Revvy is coming from because when I read some new brewers questions, I smack my head and say "Geez, here we go again". I think sometimes it gets frustrating for the guys GIVING the advice to see the same questions over and over. I remember a time where i thought to myself "Why is this guy answering my question with such an attitude", but realized that it does get annoying writing out answers to questions that have been answered so many times before.

On the other side of the coin, I think some people just don't know how to use forums and other forms of internet media. And people also want an answer right away. If you're having a problem with a beer, or a technique, you want to know right away, instead of waiting for someone to come along with your answer. We've all freaked out about something, somewhere along the process, and waiting for an answer is a little scary at times.

And yes, I would like my belly rubbed while you answer my questions, but you can keep the BJ.....unless you're wearing a Scarlett Johanson mask.

A
And yes, I would like my belly rubbed while you answer my questions, but you can keep the BJ.....unless you're wearing a Scarlett Johanson mask.

roflmaoing.gif

(I won't ask about the Johanson Mask, I really Don't wanna know.) ;)

:mug:

I like the bigger ROFL that you used in the bottle delabelling thread. Where in the world do you get all these pictures and animated gifs?

I like the bigger ROFL that you used in the bottle delabelling thread. Where in the world do you get all these pictures and animated gifs?

The bigger one isn't mine, I just saw it in the gallery when I was getting mine. But I just use google image to find stuff. Like "animated roflmao" I just discovered that we could upload the animated stuff in our gallery and have it still animate a few weeks back.

So if by highly you mean overmodified, no the vast majority of malt is not overmodified.

Well then I obviously meant well modified :). Diff. cultivars of barley are prone to more or less modification during the malting process, with the beta-glucan/glucanase generally being the controlling factor (high betas = less modification). Temperature of malting also effects this. But science hasn't figured it out 100% yet.

I never said it was better, just the more available one (from a homebrewer's point of view, an American homebrewer's point of view at that).

See, this is a debatable one that is about Tradition v Modern. Some older Continental breweries have to specifically have lower modified malt provided to them, so they can stick to their Traditional brewing processes.

Revvy - if you're so jaded with those questions, just don't respond. Plenty of users here don't mind answering "stupid" or previously asked questions. Its an internet forum, which means it lives in the present. No one is going to look through four or five pages of search results (if they even know what to search for) to find the answer, that's not how forums work. They want to ask their question and get an answer. They are clueless to how many times it has been asked before. Just because you have been around long enough to be annoyed by these questions doesn't mean shiz to them. You still come off as a d-bag to them when answering a post by mocking them. I'm sure in the past you have given beautiful answers to someones questions, but that doesn't mean anything to a new poster.
:mug: <-- that's my way of saying "no disrespect, just keeping it real"

You still come off as a d-bag to them when answering a post by mocking them.
:mug: <-- that's my way of saying "no disrespect, just keeping it real"

I don't mock people....Though it seems to me lately some of YOUR comments have been mocking to people (wasn't one of them actually in THIS thread, and someone called YOU to task for it, so maybe it's the pot calling the kettle black.) Usually I just take an answer from one place and move it to another. Since it's the same question, then I may tailor it a bit. Sometimes I may call someone, not usually the OP, on some idiotic piece of advice they give, but it's usually NOT the poster of the question. Or if the OP's coming off like, what did you call me, a DB, then I may take them to task...But I don't mock someone for asking a question, even if I've answered the question over and over, in the same day.....I may try to diffuse someone's stress with some wry humor, but I've never mocked someone for asking a question, or said something like, "Hey A$$hat, use the search."(In fact I'm usually the one doing the searching for them) Though I MAY ask if they happened to have seen the 5 threads with the same question in the title that are in the same section of the forum they just posted their question in, and usually THAT is for trying to get some understanding of how folks are reading the forum, to see if we are doing something wrong.

Like I said, I wouldn't STILL be answering folk questions for the umpteenth billionth time, if I didn't care.....

Don't worry Revvy, funkswing is prone to snap judgements and spouting off at the mouth (like me) which is evidently a good way to get labelled a FOOL. Or so he explained to me in another thread.

Don't worry Revvy, funkswing is prone to snap judgements and spouting off at the mouth (like me) which is evidently a good way to get labelled a FOOL. Or so he explained to me in another thread.

Yeah I've seen some of his comments...that's why I wondered if it was the pot calling the kettle sort of thing.....

Thanks Buddy! :mug:

I can see where there may be some thought that Revvys posts come across as ******-bagish, but the content is solid and informative, when I started brewing I found Revvy to be quite a help, those same replys are being used to help others, maybe it is the cut and paste that strikes you as DB, because we have all seen it over and over again, but to the new guy who is reading it for the first time, it may be a great help. I havent really looked, but I am not aware of an OP who got Revvied, who then posted up a comment regarding Revvys handling of his question was done in a rude or offish manner,

as for hotly debated techniques,
How about the "can a beer be ready in a few weeks?" this one gets the age it forever guys bumping heads with those who feel that proper methods make quicker beer.

Wow, the guy posts dozens of pages of information DAILY to help peple brew better beer and he gets a great big "you're right, he is a ****** bag" of a thanks for it. Maybe people calling him a d bag is the pot calling the kettle black. All of you mother effers could just

Oh hell AZSCOOB!!, lol.

I am a "sure you can drink it in a week, but have something in your pipeline so you don't have to" kind of guy.

Dope! Not trying to de-rail this.

:mug:(cheezy KEEPIN IT REAL;))

as for hotly debated techniques,
How about the "can a beer be ready in a few weeks?" this one gets the age it forever guys bumping heads with those who feel that proper methods make quicker beer.

Oh, you are getting back to the actual post? I was hoping we could re-title the post 'D-Bag: Revvy or Funkswing?'

In the age vs get out as fast as possible question...which one is the traditional method? Just to let it sit for awhile? I would imagine that even traditional methods for making hefeweizen cranked it out pretty quickly.

How about pressurized fermentation? I love it, but admit it is a very odd thing compared to the "standard" glass 5 gallon carboy. I also like the topic of natural vs. forced carbonation. Lots to compare and contrast in brewing! I love this hobby.

Well its all highly modified unless it says it isn't. Go ahead and debate it...........its not 1989 anymore."

Again, if you aren't buying a full sack then of course it doesn't say ANYTHING now does it? I've read that "continental" malt is NOT fully modified (nor even preferred for taste reasons by some brewers) and it is specified in several recipes that I have seen. My local home brew shop sells "Belgian Pilsner". Would you care to enlighten me on the degree of modification? Please provide documentation. Please tell me how you KNOW your malt is "fully modified" if you aren't buy full sacks with an analysis printed on the bag. I read a posting where someone said he had trouble with head retention until he added a protein rest. Were they mistaken?

Again, if you aren't buying a full sack then of course it doesn't say ANYTHING now does it? I've read that "continental" malt is NOT fully modified (nor even preferred for taste reasons by some brewers) and it is specified in several recipes that I have seen. My local home brew shop sells "Belgian Pilsner". Would you care to enlighten me on the degree of modification? Please provide documentation. Please tell me how you KNOW your malt is "fully modified" if you aren't buy full sacks with an analysis printed on the bag. I read a posting where someone said he had trouble with head retention until he added a protein rest. Were they mistaken?

I may be off, but I think the OP wanted ideas OF hotly debated topics.. not examples of the arguments themselves. :off:

how about kegging vs. bottling?
or.. dme vs. corn sugar for priming sugar?

effing with your water minerals vs. tap vs. RO

I for one would rather be a pirate, though I think they would lose in a fight with a ninja. All the ninja has to do is hold some wenches or booze hostage and the pirates will give them anything. Dirty ninjas.....

That would never work. There are always more wenches and booze to be found.

I may be off, but I think the OP wanted ideas OF hotly debated topics.. not examples of the arguments themselves. :off:

Well, my original point is that this is something that 'should be debated'. There is this blind obedient assumption that ALL modern malts are well modified. I was 'attacked' for pointing out this is not the case and should be looked at. So, now we have the debate.

Wow...the whole thread...Wow...drinkin a beer or 7 while reading...WOW is my contribution...or maybe, what about the debate on thermometers...theres so many diff types ...what makes you sure your temp is correct...+Revvy is king, I value his word above others. (As far as brewing technique are concerned.)

Pumpkin, Does it contain fermentables worth talking about?

There are a ton of them (many tons) ready for mashing out there right now!

how about kegging vs. bottling?
or.. dme vs. corn sugar for priming sugar?

effing with your water minerals vs. tap vs. RO

I do appreciate all the input and spirited debate but you would be correct..

Using HD elements because they're smaller and cheaper vs larger and more expensive LD/ULD elements! YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!.......while you guys were bickering I got one of the last ones! FWIW, I think we've covered them all.

Oh yeah, what about breaking both legs of the element vs. just one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back