Hop Rhizomes hard to find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
I realize that hopsdirect and freshops havent posted the varietys yet that they are going to sell.
By looking at a few other sites, Is there some hope varietys that are harder to find than others?

I am looking for a couple ameriillo and pearle and magnum.

Is there some types you just have to beg for a cutting from someone to get your hands on it?

Thanks

Amarillo is not available from anyone, it is still under patent. The other two will be available from most suppliers next month.

Even if it was off of patent, the owner of the variety would have to release it. There is only one licensed grower of Amarillo in the world, so it would be up to them to make it available.

GRRRR.
Oh wellz. I guess if i have to buy 1 kind of hops that isnt to bad.
Unless there is a really good cousin for amarillo?

Unfortunately, Amarillo is a Cascade sport, so breeding something close isn't possible.

It also looks like Santiam has vanished into thin air. Santiam is one of my favorites, and I'd love to get a cutting of it. It makes it even more difficult for me to get with the quarantine in place. If anyone has any leads, I'd be grateful...

MrH

I realize that hopsdirect and freshops havent posted the varietys yet that they are going to sell.
By looking at a few other sites, Is there some hope varietys that are harder to find than others?

I am looking for a couple ameriillo and pearle and magnum.

Is there some types you just have to beg for a cutting from someone to get your hands on it?

Thanks

Here's your magnum. BTW these folks at forest farms are freaking awsome!

:ban:http://www.forestfarm.com/products.php?params=plantName:Humulus

My understanding is Amarillo is a proprietary hop. That means the owner literately owns/created the plant. They have exclusive rights to it and until it's not popular there is no reason for them to break their hold/"monopoly" on the proprietary item they own. If you got your hands on a clipping you could easily propagate it and end their exclusivity. I wager that if they found out you had a clipping they would take legal action against you. Your not going to get your hands on proprietary hops and if you do the last thing *I* would do is tell people about it at a public forum.

Grow all the hops you like, accept you've got to buy the proprietary ones.

Back