Fresh hops to pellet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
I recieved around 64 grams of fresh dried Cascade hops today from a friend who grew them and i was wondering if there is a difference in amounts used compared to pellet hops? I'm doing a batch tomorrow that calls for around 4 oz of cascade pellets, and if my math is correct, i got around 2 oz of dry hops.

For aroma and flavor adds, no. For bitterness, people will use 10% less pellets. Your best bet is to use home-grown for flavor/aroma.

For aroma and flavor adds, no. For bitterness, people will use 10% less pellets. Your best bet is to use home-grown for flavor/aroma.
So if I am about to brew a recipe that calls for 2 oz willamette at 60 min, 1 oz fuggles at 30 min, and 3/4 simcoe at flame out I need to reduce the amounts of the willamette and fuggle by 10%?

They say to use 10% less pellets than whole hops. Meaning if your recipe calls for 1 oz pellets, then you would use 1.11 oz whole leafs.
But be careful for bittering. It's hard to determine how much to use for bittering because you don't know the alpha acid percentage. It shouldn't make a crazy difference, but if you are going for a perfect clone recipe, then it might be a little off.

Personally I would dump them all in for your flavoring and aroma additions :D

Back