Houston, we (may) have a problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Well I did a Wheat with both bitter & sweet orange peel. And an american heffeweizen yeast. Hit my #'s pretty good. Missed my wort, ended up a gallon short. Other than that everything went well, been fermenting at 66-68 since 8/22. Plan to bottle this weekend and wanted to take a reading to compare it to on sat. Well, when I opened up the air-lock I got a whiff of something sour. Now maybe because this is my first AG wheat, I'm not used to the smell. I also didn't rack to the secondary, another first, so maybe I'm smelling the krausen (<-SP?). Anyway I still did a taste test. I wouldn't say it tasted sour, but I would say it tasted "watery". OG was 1.050 and tonight's reading was 1.009 (1.011 according to the refract). What gives?

I brewed my first American wheat/rye a couple months ago, and it smelled weird during fermentation too. I kegged it and chilled it down to 33F for a couple weeks and force carbed it. It was fine after that. I think the yeast strain I used just smells funny during fermentation. (Wyeast 1010, btw.)

I had the opposite mouthfeel problem... mine turned out kind of "thick." I carbed it up to about 2.8 volumes and the mouthfeel was right on.

I think the yeast strain I used just smells funny during fermentation. (Wyeast 1010, btw.)

I'm using WLP320, it should not have any bannana or clove but maybe some sulfur. Would sulfur have an odd smell?

Wait till it's carbonated. It will seem fuller when it's cold and fully carbed.

Dude, its not the mouthfeel I'm worried about, its the smell! I've always heard "bad" beer would taste something like satin's armpit. I didn't have any of that, it was just watery.

I'm using WLP320, it should not have any bannana or clove but maybe some sulfur. Would sulfur have an odd smell?

Are you asking if sulfur has a smell? Sulfur? :D

Ever eat a bunch of hard boiled eggs, like 6 or 8 of them, wait a few hours, and then let loose with a ripping yarn? That smell was sulfur.

Yes sulfur has a nasty ass smell. So does a carboy from up close often. Often it is just the CO2 offgassing. That alone will make your eyes water everytime.

Sulfur is what I was getting from my Wyeast 1010. No hint of any off-tastes in the beer though.

If it tastes fine its ok. I think its the yeast by products you're smelling.

proceed normally.

Back