Should I see cones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
It is July 10, it has been very cool thus far this year and fairly moist. My hops are in their first year. I planted one Fuggle rhizome, which sprouted one bine and it is about 12-13ft tall. My Cascade Rhizome was attacked by my dog and torn down but it has regrown with two bines about 3-4 feet tall. I'm not seeing any cones yet. I live in Nebraska. Our high temps have been in the low 90's for about 3 weeks now. Am I just getting overly excited?

I got minimal cones out of my first yr plant last yr, it was probably end of july before it put out any little buds though, the few that formed came late.

Lincoln isn't too far off from Denver.
My first year plants show no sign of hop flowers yet.
but again, first year. However, up the street there is a huge plant that is about the size of a F150. I don't think the owners have a clue. They just died on the plant last year. Plan to go make friends soon. Theirs are just showing little starts of a bud. And that is just in the last week.

Our spring was a bit colder and wetter here this year and yours might have been similar. A couple more weeks should tell us if anything will come of the new plantings

my first year cascade is going nuts. 30 cones so far. must be the climate, it has been sunny everyday for 2+ months, hardly any rain while i watered twice a day.

My first year Chinooks are 15+ feet tall and have a bunch of little flowers all over. My first year cascades are about 7ft tall and barely starting to put out some flowers, only a few so far.

I live in Lincoln, and this spring I added 2 nugget and 2 williamette to my hop garden, both plants are over 12 feet tall and have flowers on them.

Back