Looking to brew a deceivingly strong ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
For my next batch I want to see how well I can mask a high alcohol content with a sweet, spicy and/or fruity flavor. I was thinking of designing my own recipe, thinking some sort of Belgian style, but I'm wondering if anyone has any favorites out there that match this criteria...Looking for something strong (>1.070 gravity ideally), low IBU (<30), yet something that is balanced enough to not taste heavy on the alcohol. Any ideas?

Going to be doing a Partial Mash.

That sounds exactly like the last saison I had. I'm planning on brewing one up once it gets consistently hot here.

That sounds exactly like the last saison I had. I'm planning on brewing one up once it gets consistently hot here.

Yeah, Randy Mosher has a tasty looking Saison recipe in his Radical Brewing book that I was thinking of going off of, has an OG of 1.060, so I was thinking of increasing the malt a bit, but I'm a bit hesitant to try anything that hasn't been tried before, ya know? I'd rather skip all the hassle and brew from others' experience and improvements ;-)

Ditto, a Saison. The last one I brewed had a OG of 1.072 and finished at .008 That's 8.3 abv, but you'd never know to taste it.

saison was the first thing i thought of. the yeast gives a natural earthy/spicy flavor that is very up-front and would mask some alcohol 'hotness'.

Ditto, a Saison. The last one I brewed had a OG of 1.072 and finished at .008 That's 8.3 abv, but you'd never know to taste it.

Mind sharing that recipe? I'm curious to see how it looks. Finishing at .008 must be a damn dry beer!

I brewed an ESB (Young's Special London Ale semi-clone) that ended up being 1.079 SG and 7.2% ABV. It's very sweet with no hint of high alcohol except for the buzz you get. I underpitched my yeast and had low attenuation, as FG was 1.024. Had it finished, it would have tasted better, masked some of the sweetness, and been even higher in alcohol.

Back