"Rocky Raccoon's Crystal Honey Lager (Original)"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakesDad

Reaction score
This recipe is in The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing (p. 213), and I think I'm going to make it. The recipe is pretty straightforward, but since it's a Lager, do I have to keep it at a certain temperature while it's fermenting/conditioning? The recipe doesn't say to...

I can post more specific info about the recipe/ingredients/etc...but wasn't sure if I should - copyright infringement and all...

If you want a lager, it needs to be lagered. I know wyeast 2112 california lager is supposed to maintain lager qualities at higher temps than most. You could try that strain if you have no capability for lagering at lower temps. You could also just make an ale...

I realize it's a lager you're talking about, but does the recipe call for lager yeast? If so, then ferment between 50-55 deg and lager between 35-45. If not then just go at room temps (70 ish)

Pulled out my copy of the book to get the recipe so we can discuss it better:

Rocky Raccoon's Crystal Honey Lager (Original)

3 1/2 lbs plain extra light DME
2 1/2 lbs light clover honey
1 1/2 oz Cascade or 2 oz of Saaz if you want a pilsnerlike character
1/2 oz Cascade (finishing)
American lager or pilsener type yeast

Charlie usually says something like "If you can't ferment at lager temps don't worry, you'll still make good beer" in his lager recipes. Then he usually goes on with relax don't worry - something something something...

edost said:
Rocky Raccoon's Crystal Honey Lager (Original)

3 1/2 lbs plain extra light DME
2 1/2 lbs light clover honey
1 1/2 oz Cascade or 2 oz of Saaz if you want a pilsnerlike character
1/2 oz Cascade (finishing)
American lager or pilsener type yeast

myself I've done one close I always go cascade but I love them - saaz if you want less cascade hoppy taste. I'd not bother lagering this one use 1056 liquid or dry. it is a clean yeast just let it sit in the secondary 2-3 weeks and the longer you can cold condition on tap or after carbing in bottle the clearer it will be. I've been using the heck out of US1056 dry yeast cheap and a winner! FYI

Back