Red Rye Ale Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrE_the_Great

Reaction score
So, no hops or yeast yet...looking for thoughts on the grain at this time. Haven't brewed with rye yet, but I'm very interested to try. Thoughts?

11 Gallons Batch
Est. OG 1.055

10 lbs Vienna
7 lbs Rye Malt
4 lbs Red Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Caramunich
1.5 lbs crystal 120
some rice hulls

So, no hops or yeast yet...looking for thoughts on the grain at this time. Haven't brewed with rye yet, but I'm very interested to try. Thoughts?

11 Gallons Batch
Est. OG 1.055

10 lbs Vienna
7 lbs Rye Malt
4 lbs Red Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Caramunich
1.5 lbs crystal 120
some rice hulls

"some" rice hulls should be alot- that's nearly 50% wheat and rye, so it'll be stuck mash/sparge city. I'd even consider using a great big BIAB for this mash, at least with my system, to avoid a gummy mesh. You could incorporate a beta glucans rest if you're worried about it, of course.

Some of my favorite beers are 20-25% rye, but I'm not much of a wheat fan so I've never combined them in one beer.

I think 1.5 pounds of crystal 120L is a lot. I like the caramunich, but would consider lowering the 120L by quite a bit.

Thanks, Yooper.

Funny story...being newer (1 year, 12 AG batches) to things, I read your name all around on the forum and most recently in the top 100 recipes articles being posted...

When I read the reply to my post, my first reaction was "WTF, that's Yooper replying! Hell Yeah!"

Then I realized you're all heroes in my book and things settled and I'm back to rational thoughts on this recipe.

What are you thinking for hopping? It's just my personal taste, but I love citrusy hops like amarillo with rye beers. The last one I did used columbus and Falconer's Flight 7C's, and it was really good.

I was considering Citra, so Amarillo seams to fit as well. I just happen to have some Citra in the freezer. I'm not real familiar with Falconer's Flight 7Cs, but do like Columbus.

Here's where I'm at now.

RedRye.JPG

I'd definitely cut the caramunich, as you're at about 15% crystal malt with that, and in most cases (except for highly hopped American ambers/reds) that is way too much. I'd try to get it at 10% as a max between the two.

I think 31% rye is a lot, but I love rye and I'd find it drinkable. If you're not 100% sure you love rye beers, 20-25% is a good bet.

You definitely don't have enough hops to balance all of that malt sweetness.

Thanks, I'll give it some more thought tomorrow. This has been really enjoyable for me as I've never gone at a recipe from scratch before and I feel like I'm learning a lot in this process.

Today's draft. I'm looking to get a bit more red color into it if possible, but maybe not with the re-balancing per your last suggestions. Thoughts?

And again, Thanks.

RedRye.JPG

Today's draft. I'm looking to get a bit more red color into it if possible, but maybe not with the re-balancing per your last suggestions. Thoughts?

And again, Thanks.

If you want some red color, an ounce of roasted barley could do it and it won't have a flavor impact.

I like the hopping, but I would also either add some more at flame out, or consider dryhopping.

Overall, it's looking good!

Here's the "final for now" version. I've really appreciated your input, Yooper. I'll be brewing this in October as part of my 24-hour brew day project so it will be a little time before I can report in with results, but I'll get pics up and tasting notes when it's ready.

I'm still thinking about the Sinamar. Being a 10 gallon batch, per the manufacturer's notes, 2 oz should only add about 2 SRM, but 2 SRM would bring back the red hue I was looking for. At least according to BeerSmith. If I go with trying it, I will add this in small steps and check color rather than dumping the whole 2 oz at once. Otherwise, I'm planning to just brew without color concern and evaluate color when finished...it's not as important as I think I was making it in my head.

Thanks again for all your help and input, and feel free to criticize this "final" version if I overlooked something.

red rye.JPG

Back