Anyone want to build me a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
Ok, so I bottled my hopped black raspberry acer last night and I will be bottling my smoked maple saison tonight. This leaves me with 2 empty 1 gallon carboys which never happens in this house.

The first empty I am going to make Biermunchers Centennial Blonde that will be bottled with maple extract to give me a maple centennial blonde.

The second carboy is up to all of you!

Here is what I have:

1.5 lbs Amber DME
.5lb CaraMunich I
1lb CaraAmber
14oz Smoked Malt
Honey
Grade B Maple Syrup

Root Beer Extract
Maple Extract
Spices of all kinds
Toasted French Oak chips
American oak chips
66% Cacao bakers chocolate
Hibiscus
Various frozen fruit (organic from our farm)

Centennial
Cascade
UK Golding
WGV Golding

Belle Saison
T58
Us05

Might have some other stuff lying around. Would like to brew this tonight? Any challenges or ideas? Don't want to get to crazy experimental as I like to drink my brews when I'm done. Any ideas? Challenges? Temps are not a problem from 50-80 depending on where in the house I place the carboy. Not looking for super-hopped. What say you wise brewers of HBT?

Well, got my maple centennial blonde started tonight but decided to let the other carboy sit until I figure out what to start with it. I am open to whatever ideas or challenges anyone has using the ingredients I posted. Seeing as it is only a 1 gallon, I'd even be open to slightly kooky ideas just not too crazy.

Ok, so I bottled my hopped black raspberry acer last night and I will be bottling my smoked maple saison tonight. This leaves me with 2 empty 1 gallon carboys which never happens in this house.

The first empty I am going to make Biermunchers Centennial Blonde that will be bottled with maple extract to give me a maple centennial blonde.

The second carboy is up to all of you!

Here is what I have:

1.5 lbs Amber DME
.5lb CaraMunich I
1lb CaraAmber
14oz Smoked Malt
Honey
Grade B Maple Syrup

Root Beer Extract
Maple Extract
Spices of all kinds
Toasted French Oak chips
American oak chips
66% Cacao bakers chocolate
Hibiscus
Various frozen fruit (organic from our farm)

Centennial
Cascade
UK Golding
WGV Golding

Belle Saison
T58
Us05

Might have some other stuff lying around. Would like to brew this tonight? Any challenges or ideas? Don't want to get to crazy experimental as I like to drink my brews when I'm done. Any ideas? Challenges? Temps are not a problem from 50-80 depending on where in the house I place the carboy. Not looking for super-hopped. What say you wise brewers of HBT?

1.5lbs Amber DME
.40 Caramunich
.10 CaraAmber
A pinch of smoked malt
French oak chips
1/4 cup bourbon or whisky
Maple syrup to taste, maybe 1/4 cup
Tablespoon of cinnamon
UK goldings
Us-05

Soak oak chips in bourbon or whiskey while you're steeping and boiling

Steep grains
Boil DME as you normally would
Cinnamon @ 30
Maple syrup @ 10
Bourbon soaked chips @ F/O
.25oz Goldings @ 60
.15oz Goldings @ 30
.10oz Goldings @ 10
US-05 at 68-70 for 2-3 weeks
Prime with maple syrup, honey, or dextrose
Age in bottles for at least 90 days, better at six months.

This is a dubbel/French toast/West coast twist. It will turn out f'ing great.

:ban:

Hmm definitely sounds interesting. I will certainly consider this. Although I am not sure I have any bourbon. I will have to check when I get home tonight. Might have to borrow some from my father in law.

What is your recommended boil size?

A twenty minute boil with 1.5lb Amber DME with quarter of an oz of EKG (12 IBU); add hibiscus, dash of coriander and Szechuan peppers towards the end of the boil. 1lb Honey into the demijohn and ferment with t58. Should come out like fine wine with an OG ~ 1.100.

A twenty minute boil with 1.5lb Amber DME with quarter of an oz of EKG (12 IBU); add hibiscus, dash of coriander and Szechuan peppers towards the end of the boil. 1lb Honey into the demijohn and ferment with t58. Should come out like fine wine with an OG ~ 1.100.

Sounds fun but where are you coming up with the 1.100 OG? When I plug into brewers friend it gives me 1.063.

I have the hibiscus and coriander, but no Szechuan. I do have dried organic habanero and hot Portugal peppers from our farm.

Could use honey to bump the OG up to between 1.09 and 1.10 but I think that will leave it as an extremely sweet braggot/capsicumel hybrid using the T58 yeast but I am always willing to try new ideas.

That's what a calculator was giving me for 1 US gallon demijohn with 2.5lb of fermentables. It would definitively be dry as most of the sweetness comes from the malt rather than the honey (that will ferment out). Szechuan's are cool but not comparable to any form of chilli in any way. Just thinking more the bragawd way of using some pungent spices / herbs.

That's what a calculator was giving me for 1 US gallon demijohn with 2.5lb of fermentables. It would definitively be dry as most of the sweetness comes from the malt rather than the honey (that will ferment out). Szechuan's are cool but not comparable to any form of chilli in any way. Just thinking more the bragawd way of using some pungent spices / herbs.

What size boil did you put in the calculator that you used? Have you made something similar to this before?

I will have to figure out what to use in place of the szechuan. I think I have three types of dried peppers vacuum sealed. Habanero, portugal and jalapeno.

How long would you age something like this?

I think i'm going to attempt to try both of these recipes over the next month. First going to try the American French Toast Dubbel in the first reply since i've been on a beer kick lately. Once I get some more dme i'll try the braggot/capsicumel type recipe. I'll post pics and whatnot. I like to experiment so maybe i'll keep this thread running anytime I have extra material and a free carboy.

Here is what I get with brewers friend on a 1.25 gallon boil size:

OG: 1.105 (this will be a touch off as the clover honey I use has a slightly lower SG)
FG: 1.032 (a touch off for the same reason as above)
SRM: 10.32 (this will be off since it doesn't account for the color from the hibiscus)
IBU: 9.64 (this will change slightly as well; can't remember what my ekg are but they are either 4.5 or 5.5 not the 5 that brewers friend suggests)

1.5lbs amber dme
.25oz EKG at 20
1 tbsp coriander at 5
1oz hibiscus at 5
Szechuan (might grab some just for this) also at 5
1lb honey at f/o

For Szechuan peppers you only want 3-5 peppers. They are like green/black peppers not like chilli / bell peppers. More like whole coriander seeds. I've done similar stuff but I thought the Szechuan peppers would make it more exciting for the American palate! :cross: :ban:

Ohhh yes, they are peppercorns! For some reason I was thinking of those little red thai chiles!

Hmm definitely sounds interesting. I will certainly consider this. Although I am not sure I have any bourbon. I will have to check when I get home tonight. Might have to borrow some from my father in law.

What is your recommended boil size?

When doing a 1 gallon batch, i like to boil about 1.1 gallons so some boils off and I have a little room to top off. Only when doing extract.

I'm excited about this recipe! I've made so many great dubbels, but never like this. I might adapt this into a 3 gallon all grain version.

When doing a 1 gallon batch, i like to boil about 1.1 gallons so some boils off and I have a little room to top off. Only when doing extract.

I'm excited about this recipe! I've made so many great dubbels, but never like this. I might adapt this into a 3 gallon all grain version.

Awesome! Going to get this started after work today. If you get an all grain recipe scratched out, let me know. I have only done a couple all grains because the two lhbs's have tons of specialty grains but hardly any base malts.

Finished with boil. Now letting it chill before I pitch.

The entire house smells like French Toast, no lie.

Couple of minor changes but pretty much the same.

Steeped grains for 60 minutes
6.4oz Caramunich I
1.6oz CaraAmber
1oz Weyermann Smoked Malt

Added 1.5lbs Briess Sparkling Amber DME

With a 60 minute boil following
.25oz Whitbread Goldings @60
.15oz Whitbread Goldings @30
1tsp Ground Cinnamon @30
.15oz Whitbread Goldings @10
6oz Grade B Maple Syrup @10
Medium Toast French Oak chips soaked in Seagrams Sweet Tea Vodka

Allow 30 minutes before straining and chilling.

Chill to 70, top off if needed and pitch yeast.

Bottled up the American French Toast dubbel today, primed with honey. Has a great taste already but definitely needs a couple months to age. For some reason I think my OG was way off from the original recipe that I plugged into brewers friend.

Also after I was done capping and started bottling my centennial braggot, I realized I under carbed the dubbel which led to me forgetting to add maple extract to the centennial braggot before I bottled it ... ugh. Bottling day was not a success other than getting my quick mead bottled up. Hopefully brew night tomorrow will be more of a success.

I plan on starting the Szechuan and Spice braggot tomorrow, as well as a SA "Not Quite Cold Snap" clone, a maple sap rye kolsch, my smoked maple Belgian and I will have 1 more 1 gallon carboy and some extra supplies so I will post again to see what everybody can think of to build me.

So I tried a bottle of the American french toast dubbel (as i'm calling it) and it is fantastic. Unfortunately I undercarbed it which was extremely disappointing, but the taste is amazing. Letting the batch age til planting season is underway. Going to try a 3 gallon batch with it soon before my busy season starts so that I will have some well aged for harvest.

For Szechuan peppers you only want 3-5 peppers. They are like green/black peppers not like chilli / bell peppers. More like whole coriander seeds. I've done similar stuff but I thought the Szechuan peppers would make it more exciting for the American palate! :cross: :ban:

Started the szechuan and spice braggot a couple days ago! Toned down the OG a bit, used 1 Tbsp crushed coriander, 1/4 tsp crushed szechuan peppercorns, and 2oz frozen hibiscus. Went higher with the hibiscus because I pick them off our bush and put them directly into the freezer without drying them.

The smell coming from the airlock is exquisite, definitely going to be the best braggot i've made to date if it tastes as good as it smells!

Finished with boil. Now letting it chill before I pitch.

The entire house smells like French Toast, no lie.

Couple of minor changes but pretty much the same.

Steeped grains for 60 minutes
6.4oz Caramunich I
1.6oz CaraAmber
1oz Weyermann Smoked Malt

Added 1.5lbs Briess Sparkling Amber DME

With a 60 minute boil following
.25oz Whitbread Goldings @60
.15oz Whitbread Goldings @30
1tsp Ground Cinnamon @30
.15oz Whitbread Goldings @10
6oz Grade B Maple Syrup @10
Medium Toast French Oak chips soaked in Seagrams Sweet Tea Vodka

Allow 30 minutes before straining and chilling.

Chill to 70, top off if needed and pitch yeast.

Here is the French toast dubbel

View attachment 1428181950039.jpg

Keen to see more pictures :D

Finally got around to bottling the Szechuan Hibiscus Braggot this weekend. I think it got a little funk to it after the airlock went dry on me a couple times :( This spring has been tough and busy for us so we haven't had a lot of time to work on our beers and meads/wines. Will post a pic of first pour and let you know if the infection ruined it. If it did, you better believe I am making it again!

Back