Don't fall for it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do NOT ask what SWMBO is.
DO NOT ask what EAC is.

RDWHAHB
Relax Don't worry have a home brew.

SMaSH
Single Malt and Single Hop

If others want to had the common Acronyms it could be helpful and save a lot of question/searches.

SWMBO is an acronym used by wusses who fear and despise their wives. It comes from a British Television series Rumpole of the Bailey written by barrister Sir John Mortimer, QC. It was what the main character Horace Rumpole used to refer to his wife. S** W** M*** B* O*****. He was an underachieving henpecked man. If that describes you, by all means use it.

EAC, is inconsequential. If you feel the absolute need search for it. It ain't really worth the effort.

EDIT! Damn them pesky mods censored my post! Sorry kids I tried to help! Look up Rumpole of the Bailey for the answer... They can't block teh interwebs!

SWMBO is an acronym used by wusses who fear and despise their wives. It comes from a British Television series Rumpole of the Bailey written by barrister Sir John Mortimer, QC. It was what the main character Horace Rumpole used to refer to his wife. S** W** M*** B* O*****. He was an underachieving henpecked man. If that describes you, by all means use it.

In related news, Sir John Mortimer has died at the age of 85.

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Rumpole's creator Mortimer dies

I absolutely DESPISE the notion of a controlling overseer of a wife. Or a husband.
It's a disgusting male stereotype to have a wife who controls all our menial desires
and hobby's because we're too Oafy and engrossed in football and pizza to think
for ourselves.

I really hate male stereotypes

wow, bad day? SWMBO is used tounge-in-cheek, not as an actual reflection of one's relationship. I don't tend to use it, but it can be amusing.

wow, bad day? SWMBO is used tounge-in-cheek, not as an actual reflection of one's relationship. I don't tend to use it, but it can be amusing.

Yeah, I was/am kinda havin' a bad day. A touch less belligerant today but, still grumpy.

Still don't like the term. Though for full disclosure I have used it before I thought about it. Sorry to poop on everybody. :D

SWMBO is an acronym used by wusses who fear and despise their wives...... He was an underachieving henpecked man. If that describes you, by all means use it.

I believe you are totally wrong here. Perhaps the character of which you speak was underachieving and henpecked. But that does not mean just because someone uses the term relating to their significant other is the same type of person.
Personally, I use the term and feel it's use generally relates to respect for the wife to do "whatever" in an effort to keep peace in the family.
Considering my wife has/is mothering four children, works full time, and maintains the house, if she asks me not to brew one day, I won't. Is it because I fear her? Of course not! It is because I love her and see no need to create issues in the home over what amounts to nothing more than a hobby.
Am I the exception or the rule? That remains to be determined. However, categorizing everyone who uses the term as "wusses" is just asinine!

Give me a handle and I'll fly off it!!!

I <3 you SWMBOS and HWMBOS, you're crazy, but I <3 you.

Ya had to bring up EAC again didn't ya...

Good thing I already wasted that 1/2 hr searching a couple months back anyways...

by barrister Sir John Mortimer, QC. It was what the main character Horace Rumpole used to refer to his wife. S** W** M*** B* O*****. He was an underachieving henpecked man. If that describes you, by all means use it.

EAC, is inconsequential. If you feel the absolute need search for it. It ain't

But actually you are wrong, my friend...the first use of swmbo was in the serialized novel "She" (who must be obeyed) by H. Rider Haggard published between October 1886 to January 1887....IIRC it is part of the Alan Quartermain novels...Remember the movie King Solomon's Mine

And the Sean Connery Character in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

51G1TFS54JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

You can read the novel online it looks like...Bibliomania: Free Online Literature and Study Guides

And Ursula Andres made a damn fine looking one in the 1966 film version.

She_movie.jpg

ua012.jpg

huminahuminahumina!!!!!!

Anyone remember this thread???? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/who-wears-pants-round-here-72230/

Or this one?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/why-i-hate-swmbo-71202/

It's just in good sport....

+1 I am in no way "controlled" by my wife. I 'm not saying I run around doing whatever I want, but it's not out of fear of SWMBO, it's out of respect and the realization of what it takes to have a healthy and happy marriage. You both do what's best for the marriage and family.

I just use SWMBO I guess because it is the accepted word around here for Wife. Kind of like a secret club word. Makes ya feel special. My wife knows what it means and it doesn't bother her. She knows it's just forum lingo.

+1 I am in no way "controlled" by my wife. I 'm not saying I run around doing whatever I want, but it's not out of fear of SWMBO, it's out of respect and the realization of what it takes to have a healthy and happy marriage. You both do what's best for the marriage and family.

I just use SWMBO I guess because it is the accepted word around here for Wife. Kind of like a secret club word. Makes ya feel special. My wife knows what it means and it doesn't bother her. She knows it's just forum lingo.

I keep forgetting it's you with that creepy AVATAR...:D

You know what's funny, I've been listenning to the Australian Homebrewing Podcsats and they use it...But the pronounce it "SWAM-BOW"

I pronounce it "SWOM-BOW"

Okay okay, I bow down to FMWMBO!

Sheesh. Just my opinion.

I did say I was feeling belligerent didn't I?

and in that regard...

Suck it!

I keep forgetting it's you with that creepy AVATAR...:D

You know what's funny, I've been listenning to the Australian Homebrewing Podcsats and they use it...But the pronounce it "SWAM-BOW"

I pronounce it "SWOM-BOW"

It's too funny I had to steal it.

I read it as SWIMBO.

It's too funny I had to steal it.

I read it as SWIMBO.

I also pronounce it that way, if I were to ever actually say it as opposed to just reading it, I have that problem with a lot of brewing terms since my connection to the brewing community is pretty much just this site. Trub is another one, troob? hmm I pronounce it as it looks.

Edit: I think Troob is the correct pronunciation, I just call it trub... which I think is wrong, but if it is just me muttering to myself in the basement I'm gonna just pretend I'm right.

Somebody on here has a pic of a "SWMBO" vanity license plate. I wish I could find it, because it kinda turns me on.

Back