Thoughts on a "clean out the hops" pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I have small amounts of Willamette, Tettnang.

Somewhere between 1 and 2 ozs of Styrian goldings, E. Kent goldings and Hallertau hersbrucker.

I'm thinking a pale ale with some of the Hallertau and Tetttnang as flavor/aroma additions for a little spicier profile.

Seems like it'd work for an english pale ale, but with warm weather coming up, I'd prefer the cleaner profile of an APA with a more neutral yeast strain.

What do you think? An APA with English style hops plus some spicier hops? Will it work?

it'll be interesting, but i have had APA's brewed with noble hops, and they are very good, particularly with the addition of rye in the grain bill. it may not be the APA youre used to, but i bet it will be good. I'm not totally sure which ones you should use though. depends on what youre going for i guess. i guess i'd probably use the styrians for bittering and definitely use some tettnang in the aroma additions.

I'd use a little EKG for aroma. As drengel says, noble hops give a very different results from a typical APA, but Mark at GVB uses EKG in his APA and it's quite nice.

Back