A question on Syphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
So I bought an auto syphon and was transfering into bu bottling bucket, but I only had a 12 in length of hose. Obviously this defeats the whole pupose of the syphon. So there I am bassically pumping all the beer in tho the bucket wondering why it's not working (pretty dumb huh, but on my last brw I got a 6 foot hose and everything went smoothly). But in this process the beer was splahing into the bucket introducing alot of oxygen that usually isn't introduced. When the beer came time to dring it was good but it was very fizzy, one of them when drank turned directly into fizz when it hit you lips, not good I poured it out. When I opened some(about 5) and the yeast cake at the bottom began to break up and rise into the beer fixxing uot for quite a while like baking soda and vinegar. Could it have been because of my syphon blunder?

When your transfering to the bottlin' bucket just put the siphon hose at the bottom to minimize any splashing. I could be wrong but I dont think he intruduction of air would cause your beer to be so carbonated. I'm not 100% sure but id think the 2 main causes of overcarbonation would be 1) fermentation was not complete before you bottled or 2) you used to much primer before bottlin'

hmm maybe..but it's probubly more of a result of priming sugar and time.

I haven't done it yet but I'm going to start using FlyGuy's $3 autosiphon with 2 racking canes. My problem is the syphon hose ALWAYS curls up and floats to the top.

i used one ounce of Priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch, that is what came with the kits and from my understanding is the norm. We will see how th Bock taste and make decisions based on that.

Usually you get 4 or 5 ounces of priming sugar per 5 gallon batch, not 1 ounce.

The bottles sound like a gusher infection. Did you sanitize the bottles well, and the caps, too?

Latest posts

Back