I added heavy cream to my wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this beer turn out?

• Move aside Sam Adams theres a new beer in town!

• Strange, not objectionable, what the heck am I drinking?

• Well its not harmful, maybe the frat house down the street wants it.

• Cheese-beer induced food poisoning

Results are only viewable after voting.
FRS said:
For another example ask your bartender for a 'cement mixer'... bailey's irish cream and lime juice. It curdles into a wet-cement-like chunky consistency.
Sounds like it would be nice coming back up...

well, tuesday has arrived. In other words today is the day that we finally move the banana beer into the secondary fermentation tank. with any luck it has now assumed the banana flavor from the bananas I put into the cheesecloth 5 days ago. and fear not there will be pictures

I searched the thread and i think nobody actually mentioned that carrageenan is an ingredient of whirlfloc and a major constituent of irish moss?

I really expect that this will be beer with poor head retention and maybe a note of sour milk.

TimpanogosSlim said:
I searched the thread and i think nobody actually mentioned that carrageenan is an ingredient of whirlfloc and a major constituent of irish moss?

I really expect that this will be beer with poor head retention and maybe a note of sour milk.

I'm not sure what connection you're trying to make there.

I'm not sure what connection you're trying to make there.

I'm not.

I just thought it was weird that someone pointed out that heavy cream is thickened with carrageenan, and there were remarks wondering what that would do to the beer, when the answer is "not more than a whirlfloc tablet would do".

My prediction that it will be oily beer that tastes of sour milk is not connected.

TimpanogosSlim said:
I'm not.

I just thought it was weird that someone pointed out that heavy cream is thickened with carrageenan, and there were remarks wondering what that would do to the beer, when the answer is "not more than a whirlfloc tablet would do".

My prediction that it will be oily beer that tastes of sour milk is not connected.

I was a little lost myself on that one. Thanks for clarifying!

TimpanogosSlim said:
I'm not.

Gotcha. That was me that was wondering about the carrageenan. However it was in response to people saying that the cream would skim off, and I was wondering if it would since carrageenan is an emulsifier. As for the tasting notes, I'll be eagerly awaiting them :drunk:

homebrewhaha said:
Promises, promises.

He posted some! There will be others later of the finished brew, and then of his ambulance trip after he contracts severe cheese beer induced infection :D

Here are the Pictures from Tuesday's move to the secondary

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

how's the aroma/taste? Any sourness?

It tastes very banana-ish now with strong brown sugar, cinnamon and spice notes along with a vanilla ending. The cream flavor (Partiality from the lactose added earlier) adds a nice finish and the beer has considerable body.

No sour flavors or smells. Due to the amount of spices and molasses, it has a dark taste despite starting its life as a summer ale.

My word, what am I going to have to do to taste some of this??

Well, when my bannana's foster-cream-beer goes global it will be available in every major beer (and cheese) selling establishment. Till then your probably out of luck unless I am struck by a a monumental feeling of charity and go through the hassle of sending you one. Which might happen depending on how well it turns out.

I feel like you should have eaten another half pound of the fosters before you threw it in the wort.

How did you get 8 1/2 lbs of b foster anyways?

You had better prepare for the invasion of Banana man

Well, I will do everything within the confines of the law to make it easier for you.
Well, when my bannana's foster-cream-beer goes global it will be available in every major beer selling establishment. Till then your probably out of luck unless I am struck by a a monumental feeling of charity and go through the hassle of sending you one. Which might happen depending on how well it turns out.

Im sorry,i thought you already drank it bottled.Good luck with the finished turnout.

That is a whole lot of head space in that secondary amigo. I'd stick it in the fridge if you can.

thejakester said:
But will it ferment at all in the fridge? And yes, I lost a lot due to the massive amounts of trube and milk fat I removed.

Does it need to ferment at all? You've not added any fermentables recently have you?

I highly doubt you get any head on this beer,not that it matters.Fats/oils whole grains that nature are generally to be avoided with brewing but im still curious what happens.So yeast eat milk sugar?Its probably a matter of time for infection? To much protein for clarity-not that it matters.Thats all i got.Interesting though-keep us posted. My guess it will ferment maybe infect or have a kefirish effect with fermentation as previously noted-and taste terrible-but you never know.

I highly doubt you get any head on this beer,not that it matters.Fats/oils whole grains that nature are generally to be avoided with brewing but im still curious what happens.So yeast eat milk sugar?Its probably a matter of time for infection? To much protein for clarity-not that it matters.Thats all i got.Interesting though-keep us posted. My guess it will ferment maybe infect or have a kefirish effect with fermentation as previously noted-and taste terrible-but you never know.

No, beer yeasts do not eat lactose (milk sugar).

If the heavy cream was pasteurized i don't see why it would be a vector for infection.

Back