Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatWell

Reaction score
Am brewing a 'farmhouse' Saison in the morning, any thing different about brew a Saison that I should be aware of? I have done three batches so far, double IPA, AMBER ALE, CLONE ARRAGANT

Your temps will tend to be higher than what is recommended for those others. What yeast are you planning? I have read some issues with WLP565 stalling at 1.035 and maybe needing another yeast to finish it out.

Just brewed one with wyeast 3726 and it really liked a ramped up temp if 88*. Primary fermentation was done in a week.

Which yeast?

3711 can be fermented cooler.

3726 needs to be fermented much warmer...80's to even 90.

I use 3711 a lot and start it about 70 and then , I ramp it up to about 80 after a week.

I am a huge fan of Safbrew T-58. Looking to do an old-school table-strength version on my stove (BIAB) this summer when I can let the ambient temperature work for me.

I am using Belgian Saison yeast blend WLP568. has anyone used this?

I heard Chris White talking about it on the Jamil show's Saison episode. Because the 565 stalls out they decided to offer a blend that has another ale yeast with it to help it finish out. Though I have not used it.

I've used 568 with great results. It's a blend of two yeasts - saison and a Belgian strain. If the saison yeast craps out, the other finishes it up.

On mine, I made a starter (which fermented vigorously, btw). I did this over 4th of July weekend, so it was hot. Started the ferment in the basement at 72ish. After a couple days, moved it upstairs where it was 80 or so. Fermentation was going slow, so I put it in the un-air conditioned second floor crawl space where it was in the 90s. This was probably overkill and it probably would have finished on its own, but saisons like hot temps, and keeping it warm was easy back then.

Hands down, it is one of the best beers I ever made. Cheers!

I used 3724. I pitched at 68, ramping 3 degrees a day to 93.
I think I started too low because I didn't get the fruity esters I would like, it's very smooth. Good, but it could be better.
If I were to do it again, I'd start at 75-80 and ramp up to 92-94 to get those esters really cranked out.

Fermenting warmer is definitely the trick, though don't go too crazy.

I hear a lot of complaining about WLP565 but it's always been awesome for me. It has a really nice flavor profile. I brewed a Saison 5 days ago with an og of 1.060 that's now down to 1.010. Will drop another couple of points, which is exactly where I want it. I know some like it drier but I prefer it in the 1.006-1.010 range

Saison brewing...Thanks for the reply, so now I'm on day three of fermentation and thing are going well(or I think they are!) air lock is still bubbling. My question is about temperature control, how do you regulate the increase of temp at 3* each day until you get to 93*??? I do have a beer belt, but how do you control the temp. Of the belt? Also, but call me stupid, how do you get an internal reading of the wort if the air lock is on, so you know when to ramp it up ( when i find that answer!) Man do I sound like a rookie or what! Side note you all are a great help & I'm having a blast at my new hobbie!!!

I have a dedicated chest freezer that I use as a fermentation chamber, so you can get rather precise control of your temperatures.
I also ferment in SS corny kegs, which personal experience has shown have a surface temp and internal temp that are within a degree of each other, even while fermenting vigorously.
For temp control, I use the ebay temp controller, which has it's own mega-thread.
As for ramping 3 degrees a day, nothing fancy. I just raise the set point on the temp controller by 3 degrees :)

Back