American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did the All Amarillo Ale 2 ways- two 2.5 Gallon batches.

One I did the straight recipe from here, the other I adjusted the crystal a little and added a little roasted barley to it to hopefully make it red (its a nice amber color, but not really what I would call red). My O.G. was high on both (1.069) and I think it was due to my rate of boil (since with larger batches I top off the fermenter with water). Last night I took my gravity readings and its down to 1.012. So I am at about 7.3% abv roughly.

I left them in the primaries for 3 weeks (at the start of week 3 I added 1 oz of Amarillo to each) and transferred to secondary last night with 1 more oz to each for another week. They smell fantastic!

I will be bottling next weekend....

I couldn't get Amarillo (they told me it was going to be a long time before they got any in), so I used Centennial instead, and pilsen light DME rather than Munton's (they also didn't have it). I also doubled up on the steeping grains. Just bottled this about a week ago. Has a surprisingly light colour. Tasted it when bottling and it was very good, though maybe because I used Centennial I should have added something extra for aroma. In any case, this is my fourth batch ever and the first that went off without a hitch. Thanks to OP for the recipe, I'll let you know how the Centennial version works when I taste it.

I couldn't get Amarillo (they told me it was going to be a long time before they got any in), so I used Centennial instead, and pilsen light DME rather than Munton's (they also didn't have it). I also doubled up on the steeping grains. Just bottled this about a week ago. Has a surprisingly light colour. Tasted it when bottling and it was very good, though maybe because I used Centennial I should have added something extra for aroma. In any case, this is my fourth batch ever and the first that went off without a hitch. Thanks to OP for the recipe, I'll let you know how the Centennial version works when I taste it.

It's pale because you use Pilsner extract instead of regular extract. It's lighter and differs in flavor.

Has anyone followed this exact recipe but used Centennial instead of Amarillo? I plan on doing 2, 2.5 gallon batches of this using Centennial in one and Amarillo in the other. Since they will be 2.5 gallon batches I will be doing full boils but other than that I will follow the recipe exactly. I’m new to this (these will be my 3rd and 4th batches), so any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Any idea on what I should expect? I think the Centennial version is similar to several of the Two Hearted clones I’ve seen.

I tried my modified Centennial version, and it's very successful. The only suggestion I'd have is to maybe dry-hop a bit, or add a late addition aroma hop to mellow out the Centennial flavour a bit. Right now it has a taste that is very slightly on the dry, and slightly soapy side. But overall an excellent beer, and those flavours should mellow out a little more.

Just tried both of my all Amarillo ales. They turned out well, taste good, and have the perfect amount of aroma. For 2 2.5 gallon experiments, I am pretty happy overall and I like that they finished nice and dry too. This is the first time using Amarillo as the sole hop, and I may not use it again in that regard as I pick up a very faint green onion (sulfur) aroma from them (both in the beer/and the hops) that is a little offputting. I noticed this the other day as well when I brewed an Imperial Stout and I stopped to smell all of the hop additions--the Amarillo had a slight twinge of green onion. I will see if it fades out a bit in the next few weeks and report back.

This is my 3rd batch, and it's my first batch that wasn't a kit with pre-assembled ingredients. WOW. This knocks the socks off my first 2 beers, and I still haven't bottled yet!

I followed the extract recipe on the first page, used Safale 05, with the following modifications:

Used 10% AA instead of 8% (it's all my local store had)
~9 days spent in primary
Dry-hopping with 0.75oz Amarillo and 0.75oz Simcoe

I think I will continue to dry-hop for around 10 days in primary, then bottle.

My samples before dry-hopping became more and more grapefruit heavy, way beyond what I was expecting, so I decided on mixing in some Simcoe along with the Amarillo for dry hopping. I suppose the grapefruit might subside a bit in the conditioning phase, but I didn't want to chance it. At this point the bitterness wasn't quite where I would like it to be, so I would recommend upping the hop additions a tad, if that's what you'd like.

The last sample I took, 5 days into dry-hopping, was fantastic. The citrus grapefruit is there, but nowhere near as overpowering. Dry hopping has really helped compliment the slightly lower bitterness I was getting earlier, so what I'm tasting is a nice explosive hops profile that I think is quite drinkable for those that might not like the really bitter IPA's.

My only concern at this point is I'm dry hopping in a nylon bag with glass beads, and the bag is submerged jusst below the surface, I just hope I get enough incorporation into the 5 gallons as I did from the small sample I took near the surface.

My starting gravity was 1.060, and my latest sample was 1.012, making for a solid 6.3% ABV

Cheers!

Hello everybody,
We just brewed this yesterday, this is our first batch that wasn't a kit, so we’re total newbies. After we finished brewing we measured the OG and it was 1030. Fist we thought that the worth wasn’t mixed enough cause we used LME instead of DME. But after a few minutes we realized that they sent us a 4lbs package of LME instead of the 8lbs one we ordered. I called the store and they will send us another package, it will arrive in 4 days.
What will the end result be with such a low gravity? Should we throw out the whole batch or will it be drinkable?
Is it possible to add the LMA after 4 days of fermentation?
Is there any way to save this batch?
It would be such a shame to throw it out, it came out wonderful, the smell and taste is great.
Thanks in advance for your help, we are desperate.
Cheers

BFQ,

Sorry to hear you didn't receive the right amount of extract you ordered. I've completed 3 brews and am on my 4th, so by no means an expert, but from what I've learned I don't think adding extract during fermentation is a very good idea. Extract requires hot temperatures and lots of mixing to incorporate into the wort, two things you do not want to do to a beer that is fermenting.

I would let it sit and ferment, but maybe others can chime in with other suggestions. If you end at a gravity of 1.012 you'll have a brew with 2.3/2.4% ABV. I'm also wondering if fermentation might stall out with the low amount of sugar in solution.

Wish I could be of more help! I would encourage trying the recipe again, especially if you're getting a replacement 8lbs of extract (which is the most expensive ingredient in a batch typically). This beer is a very tasty one, IPA's are my favorite variety and I really enjoy the balance and hop level of this recipe (especially with dry hopping)

n8thegr8,
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what the guys from the store said. It's a bad idea to add anything to the fermenter after the yeast. They said it will be around 2.3% ABV, a really mild IPA... We'll see.
The good news is, they will send us all the ingredients free of charge, so we will be brewing it again in a few days.
I will report back on the mild IPA in a few days.

This weekend I'm going to brew the all grain version of this found on page 7 of this thread but I'm adding a half ounce of Simcoe to all of the late boil additions and an ounce to the dry hops. I'm also using Columbus for the bittering. Will post back with results in a month or so.

I am new to homebrewing and this is the first recipe I tried. I brewed it just over a week ago and transferred it to my secondary a couple of days ago. It seems like it's gonna be a nice beer when it's done. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for when to transfer this from my secondary to my kornelius keg and also how long I should let it condition in the keg before drinking?

Thanks

This weekend I'm going to brew the all grain version of this found on page 7 of this thread but I'm adding a half ounce of Simcoe to all of the late boil additions and an ounce to the dry hops. I'm also using Columbus for the bittering. Will post back with results in a month or so.

I never posted again on this. This was probably my tastiest IPA to date and only lasted a few weeks. The simcoe was a touch too much, even at a half ounce in the late additions, if I brew it again I'll back those down even more. Great base recipe to play around with hop additions. I may use it again to try different pairings with the amarillo or just brew the original recipe with all amarillo. Thanks for coming up with this one!

For my first brew of 2014, I am doing this one again (for the 4th time). As with previous batches, using German Pilsner and adding the first 1.5 oz. of Amarillo at 80 minutes. Should be fun!

I’m definitely going to give this recipe a try but on a smaller scale (2.5 gallons) and using 3 lbs Briess golden light DME. I’d like to do a 5 gallon batch but my other fermenters will be taken. The real question is to dry hop or not to dry hop?

I’m finally getting to it, can’t wait to try it out!
2931F72C-89F2-4357-8130-6921121FF664.jpeg

I'm about to brew this tomorrow. I got the exact same recipe with US05 and I plan on adding half an Oz of Cascade 7% and another 1oz of amarillo and do a 10 minute low temp whirlpool.
Will also use some finings during end of primary

update to the interested:
Brewed this exactly as recipe said. Fell short a bit on the OG, probably dme stuck in the bag.
Added 1oz of mosaic, 0.5oz cascade and maybe 0.25oz of centennial which i had lying around to whirlpool.
Wort is super floral and citrusi with just the right amount of bittering.

Back