Cyzer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookwood

Reaction score
This is my 5th batch of a mead / variant. But this is the first time I've run into problems. And of course, the result is simple, but the reason may be several things.

Bottom line, the Cyzer is not fermenting. No bubbles in 4 days even after repitching.

The recipe:
15 lbs honey
5 gallons apple cider pepin heights orchard
Yeast energizer
Yeast nutrient
Pectic enzyme
Campden tablets.

The method.
Place 15 lbs honey and 2 gallons cider in stock pot for 10 minutes at 165F.

Place Campari tablets in glass Carboy with 3 gallons cider. Add pasteurized honey cider mixture. Let sit for 24 hours. Add pectic enzyme, let sit for hour. Activate lalvin D47 yeast. Pitch yeast into 80F temp must.

No bubbles. So I think bad yeast pack.

Wait 48 hours

Activate another yeast pack, pitch again. No bubbles after another 48 hours.

Potential problems.

flash pasteurized cider is reacting oddly

Too many fermentable sugars

Campden tablets or pectic enzyme is preventing yeast from starting

What are your thoughts? I feel like those are the possible problems. Any other ideas?

What's the current temperature of the carboy, and the room it is in? BTW, that is a shizitload of honey....

Any preservatives in the juice? Did you aerate the must? How many campden tabs did you add? Did you crush those campden tabs? OG might be a bit high for the yeast to take off, you could try acclimating the yeast by making a starter & feeding it progressively larger doses of must before pitching.

I think the 1st thing I'd do is just aerate the heck out of it & make sure the must temp is about 68-70* F. That might be all you need. If it still hasn't started after aeration & 12-24 hrs, try adding a pint (if there's room for it) of boiled & cooled water to the must; I had a similar problem with a cyser once, the added pint was just what it needed to take off, that fermentation blew the airlock off.
Regards, GF.

Another question. I have a gal. of cyzer in a secondary glass jug. I've never made a cyzer or mead. Will my cyzer clear like my ciders usually do? I've bought commercial cyzers and mead and they are rarely clear. But then again most commercial farmhouse ciders are rarely if ever clear.

Back