An Efficiency Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mox

Reaction score
So I have a problem with my efficiency. I order my kits from Midwest supplies, and I crush my own grains. As a result of my crush, I get much better efficiency than Midwest expects from its kits(I think they expect around 68% and I normally get high 70's). While it might seem lame that I'm complaining about being too efficient. Most of my beers are just too boozy. I want to be able to drink a few beers and not have to worry about getting drunk, and I want my friends to come over, have a few, and be able to, well, leave (not to mention, I don't want that boozy taste in all my beers). Is there someway I can account for my better efficiency? Like is there someway I can figure out how much grain I should remove so I can hit my target OG? Like some formula, or through Beersmith?

Thanks All.

Yes, you can plug your recipe in BeerSmith or any free online brewing tool and adjust your grain bill to get the OG you need, accounting for your real efficiency.
You could also keep the grain bill and mash at a little higher temp to get a higher FG, dropping your ABV% to where you want it to be. This last option will of course change your mouth feel and residual sweetness as well.

Yes, you can plug your recipe in BeerSmith or any free online brewing tool and adjust your grain bill to get the OG you need, accounting for your real efficiency.
You could also keep the grain bill and mash at a little higher temp to get a higher FG, dropping your ABV% to where you want it to be. This last option will of course change your mouth feel and residual sweetness as well.

+1

MALT

More Alcohol Lower Temperature

The reverse is the same Less alcohol higher temperature. Gives you more mouth feel as stated.

Could you do slightly larger batches? Provided you have large enough equipment to hold the extra volume. If the grains are for a 5 gallon batch would making say a 5.5 or 6 gallon batch create the correct gravity?

More beer is always a good thing. :mug:

If you're ordering kits, and you think your crush is the contributing factor, why not just order the kits crushed at Midwest? Isn't it only like an extra dollar per batch?

Could you do slightly larger batches? Provided you have large enough equipment to hold the extra volume. If the grains are for a 5 gallon batch would making say a 5.5 or 6 gallon batch create the correct gravity?

More beer is always a good thing. :mug:

good idea!:tank:

If you're ordering kits, and you think your crush is the contributing factor, why not just order the kits crushed at Midwest? Isn't it only like an extra dollar per batch?

Because, then I wouldn't be doing the best I can...and that would bug me.

Back