extract helping to bring to a boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
My stove takes a long time to bring my wort to a boil. I've noticed during my last couple brew sessions that when I add half the DME just a little after steeping (usually @180 or so), the foam that gathers on the top helps to bring the wort to a boil quicker and then I add the rest of the DME. Will this "insulation" technique have any adverse effect on my batches?

The reason I'm asking is because I've heard some people say that you shouldn't cover your wort while bringing to a boil. Thought this might have a similar adverse effect.

It has no negative effect I can discern. I too have started adding the DME after steeping simply to avoid boil overs, to which I had my first adding DME to a boil two batches ago - what a mess. I don't think the DME helps bring the wort to a boil quicker, but I guess it might be possible since a denser wort would probably transmit heat more thoroughly, going on the premise that lighter materials are better insulators. So I don't know exactly to be honest. But nah, I wouldn't worry about any adverse effect, at least I haven't seen any yet.

BTW, 180 is a bit high for steeping. Most do somewhere around 160. It's said anything past 170 and you risk extracting tannins.

Rev.

BTW, 180 is a bit high for steeping. Most do somewhere around 160. It's said anything past 170 and you risk extracting tannins.

Rev.

I don't steep at 180...I steep at 160 (definitely no higher than 165)...what I meant was that I bring the temp up to 180 before adding DME...

Thanks for the reply!!

Oh ok, just the way it read to me. Yeah I also bring up the temp a bit as well, just cause I figure the DME will cool it down a little. Heh, we seem to be doing the same process ;)

Rev.

If it works and you like it, go for it. That said, there's really no reason not to have a lid on your pot while bringing it to a boil. The concern with the lid has to do with volatile sulfur aromatics that you want to boil off, but whether or not the lid is on pre-boil won't affect that.

Back