Plastic 20oz Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
What's wrong with using clean, sterile plastic bottles if I keep them in a dark place? They hold the pressure and in free abundance.

I think the problem with using, for example, old soda bottles, is that 1) it is hard to get that soda taste out and 2) it can be hard to get the cap to seal after the first use.

That ring that gets torn off the cap when you first open the bottle is supposed to really pull the cap down tight, and I've been told that underside of the cap isn't really meant to be a 'reusable' seal.

Of course, if you can get them to seal, you're set. Since they do make dark PET plastic bottles, they also make new caps, complete with that ring. So if you wanted to, you could just buy new caps for your bottles (or buy the dark bottles too so you don't have to worry about light).

I use them all the time, I also reuse the caps, never had one that didn't keep a seal.

I wonder if there would be an issue with O2 osmosis causing oxidation over time. For short term, I think a few people use them regularly with success.

The only potential problem with using plastic bottles is the danger of oxidation over time. Plastic is permeable and so oxygen can seep into the bottles through the plastic, however I would say that this is only an issue if you plan on keeping a brew a long time (i.e. if you were doing a barley wine or something else that you wanted to keep bottles of for 6 or 12 months).

Do you do anything special for cleaning? Anything special when you cap (or do you just crank 'em down real tight?)
Soak in OxyClean, then StarSan at bottling time. I use a rubber "jar opener" to insure the caps are tight. I seldom leave beer in plastic more than a few months. I usually fill 2 2-liter bottles per batch for parties & such. This is also a good way to monitor carbonation.

I've never used the bottles but have read in multiple sources that they are perfectly suitable with three caveats: 1) don't use them for something you want to have a long shelf life in the bottle and 2) you'll need to replace them more often than glass, that is, don't plan on using them many times.

Soak in OxyClean, then StarSan at bottling time. I use a rubber "jar opener" to insure the caps are tight. I seldom leave beer in plastic more than a few months. I usually fill 2 2-liter bottles per batch for parties & such. This is also a good way to monitor carbonation.
Nice. Have you ever 'stripped' any of plastic caps?

I've never used the bottles but have read in multiple sources that they are perfectly suitable with three caveats: 1) don't use them for something you want to have a long shelf life in the bottle and 2) you'll need to replace them more often than glass, that is, don't plan on using them many times.
What's the third caveat? (Cleaning?)

I feel like an idiot. I have been scrounging around for wine bottles. Meanwhile I have been tossing Coke bottles left and right. I just checked the plastic type - PETE 1. DOH!

I know it isn't ideal - but for a new fermenter like myself it is an easy way to acquire vessels (for drinks that are going to be gulped before their prime).

Not yet, but I have arthritis in my hands. YMMV :)
I'm probably going to be bottling some beer into some kind of plastic container to take on a trip in a couple weeks (campground doesn't allow glass bottles, I've though about trying to make the switch to kegging, but I don't know that I'd have room for a keg on my motorcycle). I'm hoping that just making them 'damn tight' will work!

I think the problem with using, for example, old soda bottles, is that 1) it is hard to get that soda taste out and 2) it can be hard to get the cap to seal after the first use.

How long to you plain on leaving them in plastic bottles. If you plain on leaving them in for short term oxidation shouldn't be a big danger. Its going to be hard to get the soda taste out of them. Plus i dont think you can get a true seal with the caps

i've had no problems with soda taste, and I've been using root beer bottles, arguably the worst to get rid of. a soak or two with oxiclean and that does the trick for me.
I've had a couple bottled in plastic since january and they seem to be sealed just fine

Go to a baseball game and bring an empty backpack... Save those 16oz plastic bottles that are used for beer... they are much thicker than soda bottles and block the light out...

Back