Stout Tanks and Kettles - $400 14.5 Gal Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John's easy to comunicate with and responsive.

I have a new Kettle on order with him and from prior responses posted above, and the pictures on the his web site, looks like nice stuff.

He is relatively local for me (I could drive there for cheaper than he can ship to me... but maybe I'll get in a brew rather than drive) so maybe that's just my comfort level as he is close.... within nuckle busting range:D

But realy, send him an email off his web page, get to know him and ask about his stuff. Make your own judgement.

Personally, I'm stoaked and jones'n to brew in a new kettle!!!

Now I'll see what the difference is between Aluminum Kettles and SS! :D

Cheers and happy brewing!:rockin:
:mug:

It is a very low price.

My biggest concern is the port (bore rather) size of the bottom dump port and valve. Blichmann/Morebeer use a much larger port/valve there and I've heard smaller ones often won't dump because the yeast/trub is so caked up in there.

The 14 gal conical has a bigger dump valve than the 7 gal conical; it seems the 7 gal conical dump valve is just too small but I'm just guessing, I've never used a conical. EDIT: Incorrect, they use the same size valves, still might be too small.

I saw your comment and have decided to make the bottom dump valve be a 1" valve (7/8" ID) going forward. They'll be available in early April. The price will be a little higher, probably around $410.

Cheers,

John
Stout Tanks and Kettles
www.conical-fermenter.com

I saw your comment and have decided to make the bottom dump valve be a 1" valve (7/8" ID) going forward. They'll be available in early April. The price will be a little higher, probably around $410.

Cheers,

John
Stout Tanks and Kettles
www.conical-fermenter.com

Hi John; is that just the 14g or will that be on the 7.3g also? If not, why would it make sense for one but not the other? Trub volume?

What's the gauge on the walls of the 20 gal brew kettles/MLTs and the conicals?

And how well do the whirlpool brew kettles work? I know the "big boys" use whirlpool tanks, but that's 1000s of gallons vs. 8-20 gallons.

Y'know, I may have to place an order when Uncle Sam finally sends me back to the States as these seem like a decent alternative to keggles - 20 gallon vessels vs. 15.5 (so you can fill and serve in the Sankeys, maybe?), and a more flexible vendor than the one associated with "bling". ;)

Anybody ever order from these guys? Any feedback on the quality of their products?

I have one of the 7 gallon ones and will soon be ordering another. in my top 5 brewing gadgets. I no-chill in mine and also bottle from it. Heck if I could figure out a way to mash and boil in it I'd never move wort again :)

Hi there all...Just wanted to share an update since recieving and fermenting my inagural beer in my new 15G conical from Stout Tanks and Kettles...BTW Thanks for all of the correspondance John, you were very easy to get in touch with and shipping was flawless...Great Job...Anyways, on to the fementer...Everything came as planned and in top notch shape...I had to place the fermenter on cinder blocks in order to elevate it as Im not at the pump stage yet...2 blocks high worked perfect...All grain 7G XXAPA went very well...OG 1078 FG 1014...Therm worked great...Diacetyl rest went well...Im going to hold batch at 65F or so for about another week, then drop trub and wait another week...Then to the keg for some aging (prob wont age as long as it should)...lol...My LHBS owner and are are going to do a collaboration batch at the end of the month and we are going to ferm it at the shop in the connical...My Old Kentucky Homebrew if you are in the area...Story Lane in Louisville...Date is slated May29 at opening...Come by and say Hello and see the fermenter in person in case you are considering one yourself...Take care...And if you have any questions feel free to PM me here for directions or times...

I just ordered a 20 Gal Boil Kettle from John, and I have to say that I was quite impressed with his customer service. I ordered the pot with sight glass, tangential inlet with custom T.C. 1/2" female NPT for my quick disconnects. Once the pot is ready and I have given it a test run, I will post a review.

Hi,

We have these in stock right now.

Cheers,

John/Stout Tanks and Kettles

Hey John, I want to order a 14.5 conical with thermowell but am getting no responses from your website. I really want to order this on 11/26, but I want to be sure I can get it.

Hi,

I'm a day or two behind on my emails. I'll try to find yours and reply.

Thanks,

John

NCBrewer 35: Please resend your email - I'm not sure I have seen it yet. Mention this thread!

Thanks,

John

NCBrewer 35: Please resend your email - I'm not sure I have seen it yet. Mention this thread!

Thanks,

John

I got a reply from you last night, I appreciate it. I sent you a reply back to your email account.

I cant wait to get this thing!

I like the look of the "short" conical. The clamp around the top looks a better option than on the regular version where you screw down to secure the top.

Picking up a 7.3gal fermenter via eBay... very excited! Getting way too many idea$ for when we bump up to 10gal batches next year.

Initial cost is less for the 7.3... if I like it, I'll be more inclined to spend more on a 14.5gal. With multiple batches usually going, there will always be a use for the 7gal as I see it. When we bump up to 10 gallon, I still anticipate we'll do 5gal batches of new ideas until they are tried & true.

Could you please post pics and a review once you are all set?

Absolutely... it's the same as on the Stout Tank & Kettle website discussed in this thread. Obviously everyone's experience may vary, for ~$300 it was worth a shot to me. Many of our more vigorous fermentations have been pushing through the airlock in our 6.5gal carboys. Yes, I could do a blowoff but we'd still be losing the yeast. I could collect less, but after transferring to secondary, keg, filtration, etc it's nice to shoot higher and end up with a full keg. Full report to follow... first batch will be a winter wheat with WLP380 (Hefe IV), one of our frequent offenders ;)

Absolutely... it's the same as on the Stout Tank & Kettle website discussed in this thread. Obviously everyone's experience may vary, for ~$300 it was worth a shot to me.

When you decide to step your system up to a bigger batch, you may want to try fermenting in Sankes. I have both and there are definitely pluses and minuses to each method, but I can set up 4-5 Sanke-based fermenters (used Sanke cost plus fermentation hardware) for the price of one of the 14.5 gal conicals. Personally, I am finding that I prefer the Sanke method for space, CO2 xfer capability, and simplicity (fewer parts) and I do not have blowoff issues on either the stout tank or the Sanke as long as I use a blowoff tube (I have had blowoffs on conical when I used only a bubbler airlock)

JMO.

Their prices are right, and that short conical with wheels is exactly what I want. What's making me nervous is the fact that I've emailled these guys twice (granted the second time was just an hour ago) but haven't gotten a reply. Also, since their site lists the short fermenters as "special order" they won't be ordered until mid-late February, with delivery in June?!?!

Back