March Pump Bronze Replacement Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
A few months ago, after reading everyone's advice, I use a lot of Teflon tape and carefully threaded couplings onto the input an output of my March pump. Still, last night I was cleaning up and with one small pull on a connected hose the threads broke off inside my coupling.

I couldn't bear spending 30 bucks for another polysulphone head, so I searched around and found agreat deal on a bronze replacement head from Adventures in Homebrewing for 39.99.

I just called the number at the top of the page and asked for the replacement head. The owner is putting it in the mail tonight. At only 39.99, I'd say it's worth the extra 10 bucks just to never have to worry about this problem again.

Sounds like a smart move to me. I've wondered about the robustness of the pump head. I'm surprised we don't hear about broken heads more often.

I've been thinking about getting a pump and putting it in a toolbox. Many of the setups I see have the head on the outside of the box, but I'd be worried about that without the Bronze head.

Wow, for $135, you get the Bronze head pump from Adventures in Homebrewing. That's just $30 more than the dude on Ebay with the standard plastic head.

No doubt. Got mine and didn't know these bronze head models were available so cheap on this site. I definitely haven't seen anyone else with this good a price on a bronze head model, and the stainless are astronomically priced.

I had mine completely enclosed and mounted in a toolbox, so I can't believe it broke. I got mine used (in perfect condition, so it came out to about the same price getting it and this bronze head. But I'd recommend these to anyone who hasn't already bought a pump.

If you watch eBay, the bronze head ones come up for cheap pretty regularly. No brewery want them for some odd reason. I had one and loved it. Just sold it to Irregular pulse here because I got a different pump head arrangement.

The owner of Steinbarts in Portland told me he did not carry the March pumps anymore because too many of the plastic heads were breaking. Shortly after that conversation I noticed the website now has the plastic headed pumps for $194.50 . I guess he decided that if he can sell them for that price he can afford to replace the head if it breaks.

Wow, that's a bit steep! I guess there's no shortage of people who either really want to support their LHBS or just don't shop around for whatever reason. I'm sure he'll still be able to sell a few even at that price.

A few months ago, after reading everyone's advice, I use a lot of Teflon tape and carefully threaded couplings onto the input an output of my March pump. Still, last night I was cleaning up and with one small pull on a connected hose the threads broke off inside my coupling.

I couldn't bear spending 30 bucks for another polysulphone head, so I searched around and found agreat deal on a bronze replacement head from Adventures in Homebrewing for 39.99.

I just called the number at the top of the page and asked for the replacement head. The owner is putting it in the mail tonight. At only 39.99, I'd say it's worth the extra 10 bucks just to never have to worry about this problem again.

doggage
I just broke my pump this morning and remembered this thread. Are you happy with the bronze on? Any special tips I need to know to order one?

Thanks

Can the head be repaired with JB Weld or similar? Seems like it might be worth a shot for a few bucks of epoxy.

Can the head be repaired with JB Weld or similar? Seems like it might be worth a shot for a few bucks of epoxy.

Thanks for the suggestion samc, but the threads completely. I somehow forced it and "snap".

When I first got it I stripped the threads anyway almost immediately. I look forward to a bronze head.

In fact, if there is an alternative to March, I would highly consider it.

Tell the truth, I ended up getting an extra polysulphone one from a buddy and have never even used the bronze one. If you want, I'd gladly sell it to you for 35 shipped and save you tax and shipping. The bronze one is really solid.

Bump,

I broke one Sunday. My fault, I dropped the pump + some hardware from about 3 feet.

I just bought another poly head so I can brew Saturday.

Anybody got a link to where I can buy a stainless head with 1/2" male NPT like the poly heads? The pump morebeer sells that comes with the stainless head as a 3/4 inlet.

f-man, inflation is a biatch. Those $39 brass replacement heads are now $54 on his website. that sucks. i would like 2 brass heads but am no way shelling out $108. absurd.

Search ebay for "March 809". You'll find the Chugger SS replacement heads for $39.99. While the fit & finish on them is not perfect, they work fine and won't snap off like the plastic ones.

Edit: After seeing the lower price on these and always worrying about busting another plastic one, I just ordered two of these!

Search ebay for "March 809". You'll find the Chugger SS replacement heads for $39.99. While the fit & finish on them is not perfect, they work fine and won't snap off like the plastic ones.

Edit: After seeing the lower price on these and always worrying about busting another plastic one, I just ordered two of these!

thats cheap for ss. they arent too damaged? i emailed the seller to see if i can pick up from him/her as i work in the belmar, nj area

They're not damaged at all. Their castings are just a little rough. I have one of them already and it works just fine. His auction also states he'll give your money back or replace if the threads fail. He is also a user on here.

Here is the link. The vendor is very prompt and shipment is fast. I have bought 2 pumps from this supplier. Two great bargains (brand new)!

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINLESS-STEEL-REPLACEMENT-HEAD-MARCH-809-PL-/320606933368?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa5a99178

Cheers! :tank:

i've got my pump mounted in a toolbox. one second of inattention and the thing flipped over and landed on the pump head. just as i was pumping water from the HLT to the mash tun. good times....

h4qduxmj

ordered the bronze replacement about 20 mins after that.

dcbeerboy...I just had the same problem with mine, breaking the head in the same way. I swapped out to the bronze head, but just a heads up, my impeller post had to be changed out too, as well as the gasket. The brass head took a slightly larger gasket, and my post on the plastic head was a slotted cut, but the bronze was a reverse thread. YMMV, and I may have gotten new old stock that was an older design.

The older style bronze heads had a reverse thread shaft....all the newer style heads have the same shaf as the plastic ones...all press fit into a "D-slot" in the pump head. :)
And yes the O-rings are different between the two. Everything else will all swap over between the bronze and the plasic versions.

-Walter

If you watch eBay, the bronze head ones come up for cheap pretty regularly. No brewery want them for some odd reason. I had one and loved it. Just sold it to Irregular pulse here because I got a different pump head arrangement.

Ya Bronze contains LEAD ie not food safe it can kill you. Some bronze does not have lead, but all bronze have zinc. In large quantities zinc is just as bad as lead. I will stick to Stainless Steel, pay the money and dont worry about it!

Ya Bronze contains LEAD ie not food safe it can kill you. Some bronze does not have lead, but all bronze have zinc. In large quantities zinc is just as bad as lead. I will stick to Stainless Steel, pay the money and dont worry about it!

A 20 minute flush with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will remove any lead that is on the surface.

Stainless steel contains chromium and chromium will kill you.

that is interesting, I did a quick look up on the topic. Here is what John Palmer had to say about it:

Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Latest posts

Back