Something strange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
Gents,

I did a Nut Brown the other day where I roasted the grains to get a nuttier flavor added.
Got my first stuck sparge but also ended up with a really crappy OG like 1.020.

Here's the recipe:
6 gallon batch.
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.73 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.64 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.82 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
1.20 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) [Starter 1892 ml] Yeast-Ale
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge 154F

Notes:
Roast all grains for 30-60 minutes at 375-400F. Can be removed when smoking

I figure I can add some rice hulls to solve the sparge issue but not sure what happened with the OG.

See anything glaringly wrong here?

Cheers,
Tim

You roasted ALL of the grains? You probably cooked away most of the starches that you would have been converting to sugars. I believe if you roasted a lb or 2, you would have achieved the flavor you wanted. Only thing I can suggest now is boil up some DME to get your OG up where it belongs. Not sure what the taste will be like.(Is supernutty a word?)

Actually, I took several readings cause I just couldn't believe it. I also use a refractometer to check the brix which also showed a crazy low OG.

On like the third day of fermentation I saw zero activity so I figured something was wrong with my starter for some reason so I added some Nottingham just to remove that doubt.

Still after a week zero activity.

Guess I messed up somewhere but still haven't figured it out yet.

I brewed a similar batch today with no roasting at home. this yielded a 1.053 wort at 6 gallons (80%+ efficiency) which was right on target for me. Did you hit all your temps? starch conversion test?

5 lbs 4.2 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 48.5 %
1 lbs 4.3 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 11.7 %
1 lbs 2.4 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.6 %
1 lbs 2.1 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 10.4 %
1 lbs 1.4 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.1 %
11.0 oz Golden Naked Oats (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.4 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
1.25 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1 Pkgs European Ale (Wyeast Labs #1338) Yeast-Ale

Maris Otter and Munich start out with very low diastatic power. (They can convert themselves, but not too much else).
If you roasted all of your grains for 30 - 60 min and 375 - 400, I would suspect that you destroyed most of the enzymes responsible for converting the starches into sugars.

-a.

Over roasting is exactly my thought as well. When I roast for a nut brown I usually do just the oats. It provides this great nutty flavor. I've also heard use a lbs or so of the base grain. Cooking your whole grain bill essentially turned your grist into all crystal malts. Not so good. I couldn't even imaging baking 10+lbs of grain. My cookie sheet is maxed out at a little over a pound.

Chester could you put up your Brewsmith recipe so i could give it a go?

Well this was from the hip. The LHBS of was a couple pounds short of marris otter and I subbed in the Vienna cause it sounded like a good idea. I saw the golden naked oats and got those instead of flaked.

I wont start a thread unless its good but you are welcome to the file.

nut brown

Maris Otter and Munich start out with very low diastatic power. (They can convert themselves, but not too much else).
If you roasted all of your grains for 30 - 60 min and 375 - 400, I would suspect that you destroyed most of the enzymes responsible for converting the starches into sugars.

-a.

this sounds like a very reasonable explanation to me

OK, thanks everyone.

I kinda thought roasting all the grains might not be the best idea.

Didn't know the technicals of why roasting would hurt but now I know.

Thanks,

Cheers!

Back