Who decided 10 gallon kettles were too big?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40839

Reaction score
Minor rant.

Brew day tomorrow, and I need a larger kettle. Given the fact I'm making the jump to AG, I wanted a pot that could handle a full boil, ergo 10 gallons. I had a line on a used Polarware 10 gallon that would have suited me perfectly, but turns out it sold, which leaves me scrambling.

But lo and behold, not a single store here in the SF Bay Area carries 10 gallon pots, apart from Williams - who refuse to let me pick it up from their place, they HAVE to ship it. (So not going to get here in time.) B3? Your choice is 8 or 15 gallon. Oak Barrel? 7.5 or 13.2 gallon (and DAMNED expensive! Their ACTUAL prices are 30% higher than they have on their website, which they just say "Oh, that hasn't been updated in a while!") Beverage People? Only 8 gallons and 15 gallons in stock.

I understand the mail order spots like AHS and Northern have their megapots, but it's driving me mental that I can't just go to a local shop - of which the Bay Area is blessed with many - and just buy the @#$# pot I need. For tomorrow.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a @#$# turkey fryer in a pinch! Feh!

(Sorry, rant over. And when I ranted to my wife, she didn't seem too interested!)

I found the same thing. Lucky for me my neighbor is a manager of the local restaurant supply store. I got a hookup on some nice pots. Try searching for those types of stores.

Have you considered restaurant supply stores?

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?client=opera&rls=en&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=san+francisco+restraurant+supply&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&ei=0hNzSsGBGYmiMaPb1bEM&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1]san francisco restraurant supply - Google Maps[/ame]

Really wanted a pot with a spigot and fittings for a thermometer. Although I guess I could punch the holes myself and add that stuff...

Just get a 15gal. I recently upgraded from a 10 to 15 and am very happy with it. I only brew 5 gal batches for now. I would have to watch it carefully for boil overs with my 10 gal, but not any more.

Yea, I added that stuff myself. All you need is a step drillbit and be careful not to get too big. It's pretty easy.

Ummmmm. If you are going to do a full boil on a 10 gallon batch then you are going to want enough room for 12 gallons of pre-boil wort plus some headspace.

Hence the popularity of 15 gallon kettles.

If doing 5 gallons then your typical 8 gal (32 quart) stock pot works.

Ummmmm. If you are going to do a full boil on a 10 gallon batch then you are going to want enough room for 12 gallons of pre-boil wort plus some headspace.

Hence the popularity of 15 gallon kettles.

If doing 5 gallons then your typical 8 gal (32 quart) stock pot works.
Famous last words - but I'm planning on sticking to 5 gallon batches. I know probably everyone on here says the same thing, but my beer taste changes so much, I want to make sure I have enough variety, and plan on brewing at least once a month, probably twice. I figure a case of beer a week is enough to keep me satisfied!!

I just had a looksee at some of the local restaurant supply stores' websites, and was surprised - prices of stainless stockpots in the size I want run higher than a fully kitted out Polarware kettle in most of these places!! :eek:

I said the exact same thing as you. The problem with 5 gallons however is when you start hitting those home run type beers, by the time you do all your taste tests and the beer gets aged to perfection it is almost gone. I have an assortment of smaller kettles & pots that I wasted money on sitting around the house & garage.

Back