Threaded Lid as Opposed to O-Ring Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shikamoo

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Looking to get into homebrewing and I have plenty of 5 gallon buckets with thread on lids. Is it crucial to have the o-ring seal or can I get away with what I have?

In my experience, you can really lay the lid on top, and not just secure it. The yeast produces enough CO2 to create a protective 'cushion' on top of your beer, so you should be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

A 5 gallon bucket is a bit small for a typical 5 - 5.5 gallon batch. I wouldn't try using less than 6.5 gallons. You could do a 4 gallon batch though. Are they food grade?

-a.

We're pool guys, so we were thinking of using 5 gallon chlorine buckets that we would clean thoroughly and they should be properly sanitized, or we could use a cyanuric acid container which is approximately 8 gallons and the dry chemical is in a plastic bag inside that.

I wouldn't trust buckets that held pool chemicals.

+1 on just getting some buckets. Want free ones? Stop by the bakery and see if they have frosting buckets. I checked at the cafeteria at the college and got a bunch of buckets that held margarine and other things. They even ran them through the industrial dish washer for me.

Yeah, I guess we were just thinking we wouldn't buy anything because we could do it ourselves with what we have on hand, but I think you might have wise advice for us in avoiding using our cleaning buckets.

>> Stop by the bakery and see if they have frosting buckets. I checked at the cafeteria at the college and got a bunch of buckets that held margarine and other things. They even ran them through the industrial dish washer for me. <<

Good tip, thanks! We're very much of the mindset to do this on the cheap.

Well I wouldn't like to drink beer made in a non food grade plastic container that had been used to transport poisonous chemicals, especially when I can get a 6.5g food grade Ale Pail with lid (or spigot for bottling) from my LBHS for less than $12.00. Treated properly, these will last for years, so the cost per brew is virtually nothing.

-a.

Back