AG tastes horrible in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHB

Reaction score
Hey guys I made an IPA and it has been in primary for a week. I Should probably mention that I had some problem with efficiency 1.044 and was going for 1.067??? It has stabilized at 1.010. The problem is that it tastes like grass? I mean really bad. will it mellow out if I rack it or what? What happened? thanks

Well you had quite a bit lower efficiency than expected, so it may be a bit overhopped.

That being said, give it time and I'm sure it will mellow out a bit. One week and those hops are still going to give that strong grassy taste.

When I went all grain, my beers tasted like grass, and green apples. They still taste that way on occasion.

Some of it depends on your water. My water grabs every taste from the hops and grain. Even the the ones you dont want, such as the grass taste. Also it can depend on how the grains were stored.

The green apple taste went away when I left the beer in the primary for a month so the yeast can clean up after it selves.

The grass taste will go away in time.

so do you guys think that extract kits sitting on the shelves and whatnot, actually age all those bad tastes away ?? But when doing AG you are REALLY starting MUCH fresher ??

why would u get off tastes like that in AG and not in extract ??? would the fact the extract kit has been sitting awile have anything to do with it ??

Back