B3 conical to 1/6 sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
If one had a b3 or similar 20 gallon conical how would one go about filling 4 1/6 bbl sanke kegs (not cornies)? I have seen the thread on HBT about removing the check valves in a standard sanke tap but is there a standard 'filler' sanke valve or something?

Similarly, how would one then carbonate these sankes - similar to a manifold/co2 tank set up?

Last, how about cleaning?

I'm interested in sankes over cornies just to see. It's so easy to do cornies cuz you can open the top

It's pretty easy to open a sanke once you have done it a few times. Cleaning a sanke is about the same as cleaning a carboy. Carbing a sanke is exactly like carbing a corny keg. They work very well once you learn the simple nuances like pulling and reinstalling the stem. I'm sure you could devise a method to clean in place and fill w/out removing the stem like the big boys, but I think most homebrew guys just remove the stem, clean and refill.

You can fill them by their (kegs) weight if you have a accurate enough floor scale. BeerSmith has a calculator on it and I it worked for me. It took a bit of tinkering to set everything right with water first but it works good enough for my 2+ 1/6 bbl kegs from my primary. It is easy to remove the check valves in Sanke taps and they work great for transfers.

Back