Uncle Sam wants me to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhyTee

Reaction score
So in the spirit of stimulating the economy the decision has been made to turn this empty fridge I have into a kegerator. My apologies if I am re-hashing something that has already been covered. I'm looking at keg kits and was hoping some of you would drop some links of what you consider good kits. Here's what I've looked at so far:

MidWest

AHS

It looks to me that midwest has the better deal.

The up front cost is a little bit of a shock, but you'll experience a totally new way of brewing......drinking.

I started about 2 months after I started brewing.

My first kegs were a little to be desired, but keep reading and learning.

Kegged beer rules

:rockin:

Actually, since I had nothing better to do, I priced out the stuff you need to add a second line to the AHB setup, and even going piece by piece the total comes to $296.26.

I'd still go with Midwest because it's simpler - you don't have to order 7,284 little fiddly bits in order to add the second line.

Cheers,

Bob

After researching it a lot, I started with this Midwest kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739

I think it's better than the one you listed because you get a double regulator...you can keg at two different pressures. You can force carb one while serving the other. And this kit is cheaper and easier to expand from, too (and once you start kegging, you will want to expand soon after). Plus, you should get Perlick faucets...those cheapy ones that come with the Midwest kit you found are more of a headache. They'll drip, get stuck, and are harder to keep clean. Kegging should be about drinking...your setup should facilitate that, not hinder it.

Get this midwest kit, some perlick faucets, shanks, tubing, and an extra keg (or two). You'll be all set and off to a better start for about the same price as the kit you found.

As luck would have it my stimulus check got here today :D

So does this look good? Am I missing anything else (with exception of tap handles and drip tray)

Perlick Stainless Steel Faucet x 2
3 5/8" Faucet Shank with welded nipple x 2
Beer Line (1/4" ID) x 20ft (10 feet per hose?)
Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System with Reconditioned CO2 Tank -(This)

Thumbs up?

one other place is http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_21-69.html

thier 5 gallon kegs are cheap. I have ordered 2 of thier kegs and about to order 3 more. they arnt rebuilt but thats cheap enough from the LHBS locally they want 35 a keg recon. including shipping these guys where cheaper.

Thanks for the info. My LHBS said they will soon raise their keg prices to $40! You can't beat the prices on the site you gave, even with a few O-ring sets to boot.

After researching it a lot, I started with this Midwest kit: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739

I think it's better than the one you listed because you get a double regulator...you can keg at two different pressures. You can force carb one while serving the other. And this kit is cheaper and easier to expand from, too (and once you start kegging, you will want to expand soon after). Plus, you should get Perlick faucets...those cheapy ones that come with the Midwest kit you found are more of a headache. They'll drip, get stuck, and are harder to keep clean. Kegging should be about drinking...your setup should facilitate that, not hinder it.

Get this midwest kit, some perlick faucets, shanks, tubing, and an extra keg (or two). You'll be all set and off to a better start for about the same price as the kit you found.

I just ordered this exact kit a couple weeks ago. I searched high and low and tried pricing out different combinations from several different places and still couldn't beat the price. A small word of caution though. Both gas lines leaked out of both connectors and both low pressure gauges were damaged in shipping. I was able to quickly tighten all 4 connections and they gave my absolutely no hassle with sending me a whole new regulator (not just replacement gauges). Even considering the issues I had, I'd still recommend them. Their speed/service were great.

thanks for the great information. I'm keeping am eye on craigs list as well. Hoping to score a cheap fridge for a conversion or finding a complete 3 tap corny system....

SWMBO requires a nice looking one if its to go into the kitchen!

this seems like a real good deal add some shanks and a couple of taps

kegconnection

189$

Thanks!

I'm thinking of 2 Faucet Refrigerator Conversion Kit, Premium Kit with the perlick faucets and the #10 co2 tank.

I'll be converting a side-by-side fridge my friend is giving me in a few months when she gets a new stainless one for her kitchen (which is about to re-modeled).

Idealy i'd like to up it to three taps, but the three keg system on that site does not offer the upgraded faucets with that kit.

BTW, it took me a mintue to actually read yer post as I was distracted by your avatar!

EDIT: I suppose I could call and ask em.

Thanks!

I'm thinking of 2 Faucet Refrigerator Conversion Kit, Premium Kit with the perlick faucets and the #10 co2 tank.

I'll be converting a side-by-side fridge my friend is giving me in a few months when she gets a new stainless one for her kitchen (which is about to re-modeled).

Idealy i'd like to up it to three taps, but the three keg system on that site does not offer the upgraded faucets with that kit.

BTW, it took me a mintue to actually read yer post as I was distracted by your avatar!
FYI, if you're using keg connection you can swap out the equipment that comes with the kit for what you desire. I just snagged a four-tap conversion system and subbed Perlicks for the standard faucets included with the kit.

Yea, i sent them an e-mail detailing what I wanted.

BTW, should I go ahead and plop the extra money down for the regulator that will lemme have a gauge for each keg in the fridge? or stick with a splitter?

If you think you'll ever want to force carb one keg while drinking a second or need to have two different beers served at different settings then I say go for it.

Yea, i sent them an e-mail detailing what I wanted.

BTW, should I go ahead and plop the extra money down for the regulator that will lemme have a gauge for each keg in the fridge? or stick with a splitter?

Go with more regs and a manifold. My setup I have 2 secondary regs and a manifold. I can force carb 3 kegs and still have several at serving pressure.

my setup has 2 regs. one of them has a 3port manifold, and the other has just the one QD. there is more room for expansion on a dual regulator system.

Back